Alfie Curtis in Bowler (1973)
|Died||30 November 2017 (aged 87)|
Curtis was noted for his "rugged" features. He landed a number of acting parts that demanded a rough physical appearance through Ugly Models, a London modelling agency that specialises in artists and models who do not conform to typical standards of idealised beauty.
Most of Curtis's appearances were in minor roles in British television series. He played the part of Matt Beckett in the TV police drama Cribb (1980–81) and Ted in the TV adaptation of J.B. Priestley's Lost Empires (1986). His cinema roles included an appearance in David Lynch's 1980 film The Elephant Man in which he played the part of a milkman.
He was best known for a small part in the 1977 space opera film Star Wars, in which he played the role of Dr. Evazan, a criminal with a heavily scarred face who violently confronts Luke Skywalker in the Mos Eisley Cantina scene. Curtis's character states "I have the death sentence on twelve systems!" In the brief bar brawl, Evazan is killed by Obi-Wan Kenobi, the first use of a lightsaber in combat in the Star Wars franchise.
|1977||Star Wars||Dr. Evazan||Uncredited|
|1980||The Wildcats of St. Trinian's||Taxi driver|
|1980||The Elephant Man||Milkman|
|1981||Take It or Leave It||Vicar||Documentary|
|1973||Bowler||Rocky / Alfie||2 episodes|
|1975||Larry Grayson||Man in Line-up / Cafe Customer / Sailor||5 episodes|
|1979||The Jim Davidson Show||Himself||1 episode|
|1980||Grange Hill||Gateman||1 episode|
|1980-1981||Cribb||Landlord / Matt Beckett||2 episodes|
|1981||Lady Killers||Mr . Waters||1 episode|
|1982||Legacy of Murder||Assistant thug|
|1982||The Gentle Touch||Gaffer||1 episode|
|1983||Jemima Shore Investigates||Vic||1 episode|
|1984||Tucker's Luck||Steve||2 episodes|
|1985||The Bill||Bernie||1 episode|
|1986||Lost Empires||Ted||1 episode, (final appearance)|
- Lentz III, Harris M. (2018). Obituaries in the Performing Arts, 2017. McFarland. pp. 87–88. ISBN 9781476670324. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- Hough, Kirsty (6 July 2018). "Granddaughter pays tribute to Star Wars actor who died aged 87". Essex Daily Gazette. Colchester. Archived from the original on 6 July 2018. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "UGLY". Ebony. Johnson Publishing Company. May 1978. p. 54. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "Alfie Curtis, Dr. Evazan in 'Star Wars: A New Hope,' Dies at 87 (Report)". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 19 June 2018. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Doctor Cornelius Evazan". StarWars.com. Archived from the original on 19 June 2018. Retrieved January 4, 2017.
- "Star Wars actor Alfie Curtis dies aged 87". BBC News. 27 December 2017.