Alexandru Mihăiță Chipciu (Romanian pronunciation: [alekˈsandru kipˈt͡ʃi.u]; born 18 May 1989) is a Romanian professional footballer who plays for Czech club Sparta Prague, on loan from Anderlecht, and the Romania national team. A versatile player, he is mainly deployed as a winger or an attacking midfielder, but can also be used as a false 9 or a wing-back on occasion.
Chipciu training for Anderlecht in 2016
|Full name||Alexandru Mihăiță Chipciu|
|Date of birth||18 May 1989|
|Place of birth||Brăila, Romania|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
(on loan from Anderlecht)
|2008||→ Forex Brașov (loan)||6||(0)|
|2008–2009||→ Brăila (loan)||18||(4)|
|2018–||→ Sparta Prague (loan)||21||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 March 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 26 March 2019
After starting his senior career with FC Brașov, Chipciu moved to FC Steaua București during the winter of 2011. In the five seasons he spent with the capital-based club, he won seven domestic trophies and took part in multiple UEFA Europa League and UEFA Champions League editions. In 2016, he transferred abroad for the first time to join Belgian club Anderlecht.
Chipciu is a Romanian international and has played for the country's under-17 and under-19 teams before making his senior debut in 2011. He was a member of the squad that participated at the UEFA Euro 2016.
Chipciu started his football career in 2001, at the age of 13, with the youth squad of Dacia Unirea Brăila from his hometown. From 2004 to 2006, before joining FC Brașov, he played for Sporting Pitești.
At the age of 18, Chipciu made the senior squad breakthrough, scoring 4 goals in his first year with FC Brașov. However, after the team's pretensions grew, aspiring the promotion to the first division, he got less play time.
For the first half of the 2008–09 season he was loaned out to Liga II side Forex Brașov, and in the second half of the season he went to his former youth club Brăila in Liga III to gain experience.
Upon his return to FC Brașov, now in the Liga I, Chipciu again got few opportunities to play in the first year. During the 2010–11 season he had appreciated performances, being one of the best players of the team and attracting the attention of Bucharest rivals Steaua and Dinamo. He eventually chose to stay at Brașov, signing a new contract that would have kept him at the club until 2015. Chipciu had a great 2011–12 season start, scoring two important goals in the first three games.
On 21 December 2011, Steaua București announced that they had reached an agreement for the transfer of Chipciu, with the player penning a five-year contract. The press reported that FC Brașov would receive an initial €1.2 million and 25% from a future transfer sum. On 31 March 2012, Chipciu netted his first goal for the club in a 1–1 away draw at Pandurii Târgu Jiu, and his second came just one week later against Sportul Studențesc after an impressive build-up play (4–1 win, at Stadionul Steaua). On 7 May, he was sent off after receiving a red card in a match against Concordia Chiajna.
In the autumn of 2012, Chipciu helped Steaua qualify from the UEFA Europa League group stage, where they played against the likes of VfB Stuttgart, Molde and Copenhagen. Furthermore, Steaua defeated Ajax on penalty shoot-outs, before losing in the round of 16 with Chelsea 3–2 on aggregate. On 10 May 2013, in one of the last remaining matches of the season, Chipciu suffered an injury against rivals from Dinamo București and he was subsequently sidelined for 5 months with a fractured tibia. Two weeks later he received a winner's medal after Steaua's 2012–13 Liga I conquest, being his first major honour. Six trophies went to follow in the next three years: two more League Championships, one Romanian Cup, one Romanian Supercup and two League Cups.
On 18 July 2016, Chipciu traveled to Belgium to undergo a medical at Anderlecht. The following day it was officially announced that the player signed a 4-year contract with the club. Anderlecht paid €3 million for his services, with bonus clauses potentially rising the transfer fee to €3.5 million. On 7 August, Chipciu scored his first goal for the club in a Belgian Pro League match against Kortrijk.
Chipciu gained his first cap for the full side in 2011, playing as a starter against San Marino. On 15 November, he scored his first senior international goal in a friendly match in Austria with Greece. On 17 May 2016, Chipciu was picked by manager Anghel Iordănescu for his preliminary 28-man UEFA Euro 2016 squad and eventually made it to the final list.
- As of 9 March 2019
|Forex Brașov (loan)||2008–09||6||0||?||?||—||—||—||6||0|
|Sparta Praha (loan)||2018–19||21||1||1||0||—||2||0||0||0||24||1|
- As of 26 March 2019
- As of 11 October 2018 (Romania score listed first, score column indicates score after each Chipciu goal)
|1||15 November 2011||Stadion Schnabelholz, Altach, Austria||2||Greece||3–1||3–1||Friendly|
|2||22 March 2013||Ferenc Puskás, Budapest, Hungary||7||Hungary||2–2||2–2||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|3||4 June 2014||Stade de Genève, Geneva, Switzerland||11||Algeria||1–1||1–2||Friendly|
|4||8 October 2016||Vazgen Sargsyan, Yerevan, Armenia||24||Armenia||5–0||5–0||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|5||11 October 2018||LFF Stadium, Vilnius, Lithuania||39||Lithuania||1–0||2–1||2018–19 UEFA Nations League C|
- Liga I: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15
- Cupa României: 2014–15
- Supercupa României: 2013
- Cupa Ligii: 2014–15, 2015–16
- "How to pronounce EURO players' names correctly". UEFA. 7 June 2016. Archived from the original on 7 June 2016.
- "Dilema falsului număr "9". De ce nu poate Steaua continua cu succes aplicarea sistemului folosit contra Chiajnei. Comparaţie cu Barcelona" [The difficulties of a false 9. Why Steaua can't continue using the system applied against Chiajna. Comparison with Barcelona] (in Romanian). ProSport. 18 February 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- "Reacția lui Chipciu când a auzit că va fi folosit fundaș dreapta la Sparta: "E bine că e Stanciu pe partea mea" + Cum l-a impresionat pe antrenor" [Chipciu's reaction when he heard he would be used as a right-back at Sparta: "Is good that Stanciu is on my side" + Hoe he impressed the coach]. Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 10 July 2018. Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- Chipciu a semnat cu Steaua
- Chipciu, titular cu San Marino Archived 21 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "Romania Euro 2016 squad". The Daily Telegraph. 3 June 2016. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- Alexandru Mihăiţă CHIPCIU
- Vezi ce jucator din Liga I a refuzat Steaua pentru FC Brasov
- Alexandru Chipciu si Marius Lupu au fost cistigurile echipei brailene in finalul turului
- "Tupeu de puşti » Braşoveanul Chipciu e una dintre marile revelaţii ale turului de campionat". Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 2 December 2010. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- A fost dorit de Steaua şi Dinamo, dar rămîne fidel Braşovului » Chipciu şi-a prelungit contractul pînă în 2015
- "A fost dorit de Steaua şi Dinamo, dar rămîne fidel Braşovului / Chipciu şi-a prelungit contractul pînă în 2015"
- "Transferul lui Chipciu la Anderlecht reaprinde speranţa la FC Braşov. Oficialii echipei caută antrenor şi jucători" [Chipciu's transfer to Anderlecht reignites hope at FC Brașov. The officials of the team are searching for a coach and players]. ProSport (in Romanian). 18 July 2016. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- Steaua loses title hopes
- Chipciu superb goal against Sprotul
- Chicpiu only 1 match day suspension
- "Ce adversari poate întîlni Steaua". Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 6 December 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Au trecut testul Champions League". Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 16 March 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Chipciu are fractură de tibie". Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 11 May 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Chipciu is in Anderlecht, ander doelwit kiest voor Zenit". Het Nieuwsblad (in Dutch). 18 July 2016. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Alexandru Chipciu voor 4 seizoenen bij RSCA!". R.S.C. Anderlecht (in Dutch). 19 July 2016. Archived from the original on 7 August 2016. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Alexandru Chipciu signe à Anderlecht". France Football (in French). 19 July 2016. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Detaliile afacerii "Chipciu". Ce sumă primeşte, de fapt, Steaua şi ce număr va purta fotbalistul la Anderlecht" [The details of the "Chipciu" deal. What sum Steaua actually receives and the jersey number which the player will wear at Anderlecht]. DigiSport (in Romanian). 16 July 2016. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "Alexandru Chipciu a marcat primul gol pentru Anderlecht. A avut nevoie de 4 meciuri" [Alexandru Chipciu scored his first goal for Anderlecht. He needed 4 matches]. DigiSport (in Romanian). 7 August 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Hotovo! Ve Spartě bude hostovat Rumun Chipciu, přišel si pro titul". Sport.cz (in Czech). 3 July 2018. Retrieved 4 July 2018.
- "Alexandru Chipciu". Soccerway. Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "Alexandru Chipciu". European Football. Retrieved 5 October 2017.