Alexander Viets Griswold
Alexander Viets Griswold (April 22, 1766 – February 15, 1843) was the 5th Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States from 1836 till 1843. He was also the Bishop of the Eastern Diocese, which included all of New England with the exception of the Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut. Griswold was an evangelical Episcopalian.
The Most Reverend
Alexander Viets Griswold
|5th Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church|
|Other posts||Bishop of Massachusetts (1811-1843)|
Bishop of Rhode Island (1811-1843)
|Ordination||October 1, 1795|
|Consecration||May 31, 1811|
by William White
|Born||April 22, 1766|
Simsbury, Connecticut, United States
|Died||February 15, 1843 (aged 76)|
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
|Alma mater||Brown University, Princeton University, Harvard University|
Born in Simsbury, Connecticut, as the son of Elisha Griswold and Eunice Viets, Griswold died in Boston, Massachusetts. He married Elizabeth Mitchelson on 6 May 1785 or 1786 at Scotland (now Bloomfield), Connecticut. They had 12 children. His sister was the painter Eunice Pinney.
Griswold was ordained deacon on June 7, 1795, and priest on October 1, 1795. Griswold served three small churches in Litchfield County and also taught school. Griswold was chosen rector of St. Michael's Church, Bristol, Rhode Island, in 1804. He was elected bishop and consecrated on May 31, 1811. As the eldest serving bishop, he also served as the Episcopal Church's fifth Presiding Bishop from July 17, 1836, until his death.
Griswold wrote the hymn Holy Father, great Creator. He also published Discourses on the Most Important Doctrines and Duties of the Christian Religion (1830); The Reformation and the Apostolic Office (1843); and Remarks on Social Prayer Meetings (1858). His memoirs were published by Dr. J. S. Stone. Some of his papers and a lock of his hair are stored in the University Library, University of Rhode Island.
- Black, Mary, and Jean Lipman (1966). American Folk Painting. New York: Clarkson N. Potter, Inc./Publisher, p. 98.
- Greene, Welcome Arnold (1886). The Providence Plantations for 250 Years. Providence, RI: J.A. & R.A. Reid. p. 148.
Chancellor of Brown University 1815-1831
- Mitchell, Martha (1993). Encyclopedia Brunoniana. Brown University Library. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
Alexander Viets Griswold (1815-1828) was Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Eastern Massachusetts
- The Episcopal Church. "Alexander Viets Griswold". Retrieved 2012-04-14.
- Holcombe Family Genealogy. "Holcombe Family Genealogy". Archived from the original on 8 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- University of Rhode Island, Library Collection. "Records of the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island". Archived from the original on May 11, 2006. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- Documents by Alexander Viets Griswold from Project Canterbury
- Memoior of the Life of Alexander Viets Griswold at Google Books
|Episcopal Church (USA) titles|
| 5th Presiding Bishop
| Bishop of Massachusetts
| Bishop of Rhode Island
John Prentiss Kewly Henshaw