Alexander Ivanov (chess player)
This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alexander Ivanov (born May 1, 1956) is a Soviet-born American chess grandmaster born in Omsk. He moved to the United States in 1988. FIDE awarded him his GM title in 1991. He lives in Massachusetts with his wife.
He played for the Soviet team in the World U26 Team Championship in 1978, winning the team silver medal, and in 1980, taking two gold medals. Ivanov played for the US team in the 2002 Chess Olympiad.
ELO Classic: 2464
ELO Rapid: 1739
ELO Blitz: 2497
Most played openings with white piecesEdit
1. Sicilian, Nardorf, Fianchetto Variation
2. Sicilian, Scheveningen Variation
3. Caro-Kann Defense
4. Sicilian Defense
Most played openings with black piecesEdit
1. Robatsch (Modern) Defense
2. Ruy Lopez, closed, 9.h3
3. Queen's Indian, 4.g3
4. Queen's Indian Defense
Ivanov vs. Var Akobian, US Championship (Group A, 2011)
Ivanov vs. Dan Naroditsky, US Championship (Group A, 2011)
Ivanov vs. Deep Thought, Pittsburgh (1988)
He won first at the 1998 Young Masters Championship of the USSR. He also tied for first with Anatoly Karpov and Boris Gulko at a 1982 Moscow tournament that featured 51 grandmasters. He also shared first in the 1989 National Open and World Open events. He was joint US champion in 1995 (with Nick de Firmian and Patrick Wolff), and Pan American champion in 1998. In 2007 he tied for first place with Julio Granda, Varuzhan Akobian, Darcy Lima and Eduardo Iturrizaga in the American Continental Championship in Cali. He also won the 135th Annual New York State Championship in 2013, winning $1,500.
- Top Player Bios: GM Alexander Ivanov. United States Chess Federation.
- "Alexander Vladimirovich Ivanov".
- Alexander Ivanov team chess record at Olimpbase.org
- "Alexander Ivanov".
- "Alexander Vladimirovich Ivanov vs Varuzhan Eduardovich Akobian".
- "Alexander Vladimirovich Ivanov vs Daniel Naroditsky".
- "Alexander Vladimirovich Ivanov vs Deep Thought (Computer)".
- "Julio Granda gana el Continental de América en Colombia" (in Spanish). ChessBase. 2007-07-23.
- "GM Alexander Ivanov takes first prize in New York State Championship".
- Alexander Ivanov rating card at FIDE
- Alexander Ivanov chess games at 365Chess.com
- Alexander Ivanov player profile and games at Chessgames.com
| United States Chess Champion
1995 (with Nick de Firmian and Patrick Wolff)
|This biographical article relating to an American chess figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|