Alex Nicolao Telles (born 15 December 1992) is a Brazilian professional footballer who plays as a left-back for Portuguese club Porto. Telles is an offensive full-back and is described as a skilled, quick and playmaking defender.
Telles playing for Porto in 2018.
|Full name||Alex Nicolao Telles|
|Date of birth||15 December 1992|
|Place of birth||Caxias do Sul, Brazil|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2015–2016||→ Inter Milan (loan)||21||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 2 June 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 23 March 2019
Telles is highly rated in Brazil and was rewarded with a place in the 2013 Brasileirão Team of the Year.
Juventude and GrêmioEdit
Telles was born in Caxias do Sul, a city in the Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul. At the age of eight, he began playing football with the neighbouring kids and was later enrolled to a youth academy of Esporte Clube Juventude.
In December, Telles was transferred to Grêmio after a partnership was established with Juventude. He made his Grêmio debut on 3 February 2013 against Internacional. On 26 May, Telles made his Série A debut, starting in a 2–0 home win against Náutico.
On 22 January 2014, after long negotiations, Telles completed a move to Turkish club Galatasaray for €6 million, signing a contract that will keep him with the club until 2018. He made his debut two weeks later, starting in a 3–0 win against Tokatspor for the campaign's Turkish Cup, and made his maiden Süper Lig debut in a 3–0 home victory against Eskişehirspor on 8 February 2014. Telles made his first assist for the club against Antalyaspor in a 2–2 away game on 17 February. He also scored his first goal for Galatasaray against Akhisar Belediyespor on 8 March in a 6–1 home win.
In August 2015, there were rumours[where?] mentioning Telles as a good choice to fill the place made by the departure of left-back Filipe Luís at Chelsea. In response to the rumour, Galatasaray manager Hamza Hamzaoğlu said the club would only be tempted by an acceptable offer.
Loan to Inter MilanEdit
On 31 August 2015, Galatasaray agreed to let Telles join Italian club Internazionale of Serie A on a one-year loan for a €1.3 million fee, in addition to €250,000 if Inter qualify for the group stage of the 2016–17 UEFA Champions League. The deal included a buyout option for €8.5 million, letting Internazionale make the move permanent when the loan deal is finished. Telles reunited with Internazionale manager Roberto Mancini in Italy, who previously coached him at Galatasaray.
On 12 July 2016, Portuguese side FC Porto announced the signing of Alex Telles for a €6.5 million fee. According to a Galatasaray press release, the Istanbul club reserved a further 10% of any added value in a future transfer deal. The following day, after signing a five year contract, he stated: "I ambition titles, I ambition a very beautiful story. I have recently commented with my relatives that I do not want to come here in passing, I want to leave a legacy." On 12 August, in a 3–1 away win against Rio Ave, he marked his league debut and first competitive match with a poor performance and subsequent expulsion. Despite the rough start, Telles gradually cemented himself in the team's starting eleven, scoring his first goal when facing rivals Boavista in a 3–1 home victory at Estádio do Dragão.
Telles also has an Italian passport, making him in the past eligible to represent Italy national team. In October 2016, Telles said that he would "welcome" a call-up from "Azzurri", adding that his great grandparents are Italian and he feels Italian. In March 2019, however, he received his first call-up to the Brazil national team. He made his debut for Brazil on 23 March 2019 in a friendly against Panama, as a starter.
- As of match played 25 May 2019
|Club||Season||League||National Cup[a]||League Cup[b]||Continental||Other||Total|
|Inter Milan (loan)||2015–16||Serie A||21||0||1||0||—||—||—||22||0|
- Appearance(s) in Copa do Brasil, Turkish Cup, Coppa Italia and Taça de Portugal
- Appearances in Taça da Liga
- Appearance(s) in Campeonato Gaúcho and Copa FGF
- Appearances in Copa Libertadores
- Appearances in Campeonato Gaúcho
- Appearances in UEFA Champions League
- Appearance(s) in Turkish Super Cup
- Appearance in Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira
- Copa FGF: 2011, 2012
- Brasileirão Série A Team of the Year Best Left-back: 2013
- Bola de Prata Best Left-back: 2013
- SJPF Primeira Liga Team of the Year: 2016, 2017
- Primeira Liga Defender of the Month: August 2017, January 2018, February 2018, April 2018
- Primeira Liga Team of the Year: 2018
- Dragão de Ouro Award – FC Porto Player of the Year: 2018
- "Roberto Carlos'tan Alex Telles yorumu" [Roberto Carlos speaks of Alex Telles] (in Turkish). TRTspor. 16 January 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Seleção do Campeonato Brasileiro Série A 2013" [Best eleven of 2013 Brazilian League] (in Portuguese). CBF. 9 December 2013. Archived from the original on 18 December 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- EC São José vs. Juventude 1–2; Global Sports Media, 24 January 2011
- Juventude-RS 1 x 1 Cruzeiro-RS - Decepção alviverde em Caxias do Sul! (Juventude-RS 1–1 Cruzeiro-RS — Alviverde disappointment in Caxias do Sul!); Futebol Interior, 20 August 2011 (in Portuguese)
- Grêmio contrata lateral esquerdo Alex Telles e encaminha parceria com o Juventude (Grêmio signs left back Alex Telles and pushes partnership with Juventude forward); UOL Esporte, 12 December 2012 (in Portuguese)
- Deu a lógica: em Gre-Nal quente, Inter vence os reservas do Grêmio; Globo Esporte, 3 February 2013 (in Portuguese)
- Grêmio cumpre promessa, joga bem e vence Náutico pelo Brasileirão; Globo Esporte, 26 May 2013 (in Portuguese)
- Alex Telles Galatasaray'da [Alex Telles to Galatasaray]; Galatasaray's official website, 22 January 2014 (in Turkish)
- Tokatspor 0–3 Galatasaray Archived 21 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine; Galatasaray's official website, 5 February 2014 (in Turkish)
- "Galatasaray vs Antalyaspor". Galatasaray.org. 17 February 2014. Archived from the original on 27 February 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Telles ilk golünü attı [Telles's first goal]". Hürriyet. 8 March 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- Galatasaray (1 September 2015). "Alex Nicolao Telles – Geçici Transfer" (in Turkish). Turkish Public Disclosure System (KAP). Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "ALEX TELLES IS A NERAZZURRI PLAYER". inter.it. 31 August 2015. Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- "Felipe Melo, Adem Ljajic and Alex Telles complete Inter Milan moves". ESPN FC. 1 September 2015. Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- "Serie A: Inter-Milan 1-0, Guarin decide il derby" [Serie A: Inter-Milan 1-0, Guarin decides the derby] (in Italian). Sport Mediaset. 13 September 2015. Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- "OFICIAL: Alex Telles no FC Porto por 6,5 milhões de euros" [OFFICIAL: Alex Telles at FC Porto for 6.5 million euros]. Mais Futebol (in Portuguese). 12 July 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "Alex Telles: «Não quero vir de passagem, quero deixar um legado»" [Alex Telles: «I do not want to come in passing, I want to leave a legacy»]. Record (in Portuguese). 13 July 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "Alex Telles com estreia azarada" [Alex Telles with unlucky debut]. Record (in Portuguese). 12 August 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "F.C. Porto vence Boavista com reviravolta" [F.C. Porto wins Boavista with turnaround]. Jornal de Notícias (in Portuguese). 23 September 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "Italy ask after Alex Telles". Football Italia. 9 October 2016. Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- Ben Gladwell (13 October 2016). "Porto defender Alex Telles open to representing Italy instead of Brazil". ESPN FC. Retrieved 22 April 2018.
- "Alex Telles substitui Filipe Luís nos amistosos de março". CBF. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Brazil v Panama game report". ESPN. 23 March 2019.
- Alex Telles at Soccerway. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "FC Porto conquista Supertaça pela 21.ª vez" [FC Porto conquer Supercup for the 21st time] (in Portuguese). Rádio e Televisão de Portugal. 4 August 2018. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "Os melhores do campeonato são homenageados na festa da Premiação Brasileirão 2013" [The best of the championship are honored in the awards party Brasileirão 2013] (in Portuguese). CBF. 9 December 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Campeão, Cruzeiro domina Bola de Prata 2013; veja a seleção do Brasileirão" [Champion, Cruzeiro dominates Bola de Prata 2013; see the selection of the Brasileirão] (in Portuguese). ESPN Brasil. 9 December 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "SJPF revela os melhores 11 de 2016" [SPFP discloses best 11 of 2016] (in Portuguese). SJPF. 20 March 2017. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Sindicato revela os melhores 11 de 2017" [Union discloses best 11 of 2017] (in Portuguese). SJPF. 19 March 2018. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Vencedores dos Prémios mensais da Liga Portugal 2017–18" [Winners of the Liga Portugal 2017–18 Monthly Awards] (in Portuguese). Liga Portugal. 15 September 2017. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Jonas e Chiquinho, os melhores de janeiro" [Jonas and Chiquinho, the best of January] (in Portuguese). Liga Portugal. 14 February 2018. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Jonas e Vinícius, os melhores de fevereiro" [Jonas and Vinícius, the best of February] (in Portuguese). Liga Portugal. 14 March 2018. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Bruno Fernandes e Ricardo Gomes eleitos "Jogador do Mês" de abril" [Bruno Fernandes and Ricardo Gomes elected "Player of the Month" of April] (in Portuguese). Liga Portugal. 10 May 2018. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "FC Porto lidera Onze do Ano" [FC Porto leads Starting Eleven of the Year] (in Portuguese). Liga Portugal. 5 July 2018. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Alex Telles foi eleito Futebolista do Ano na Gala dos Dragões de Ouro" [Alex Telles was elected Footballer of the Year at the Gala Dragões de Ouro] (in Portuguese). Sapo Desporto. 30 September 2018. Retrieved 30 September 2018.