Alexander Petrovic (born March 3, 1992) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman who is currently an unrestricted free agent. He most recently played for the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League (NHL). Petrovic was selected by the Florida Panthers in the second round, 36th overall, of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft from the Red Deer Rebels in the Western Hockey League (WHL).
Petrovic during the 2010–2011 WHL season
March 3, 1992|
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||215 lb (98 kg; 15 st 5 lb)|
36th overall, 2010|
Petrovic was drafted by the Red Deer Rebels in the second round of the 2007 Western Hockey League (WHL) Bantam Draft. Prior to being drafted, he had been playing midget hockey in Edmonton. He played his first full WHL season in 2008–2009, recording 13 points in 66 games. Leading up to the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Petrovic was ranked 29th among North American skaters by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau, and the Florida Panthers ultimately drafted Petrovic in the second round, 36th overall. Petrovic played his entire junior career with the Rebels, turning pro for good after the 2011–2012 WHL season.
On April 18, 2011, Florida signed Petrovic to a three-year, entry-level professional contract. He made his professional debut in the American Hockey League (AHL) playoffs with the San Antonio Rampage after the 2011–12 season. Petrovic began the 2012–13 season with the Rampage in the AHL, but was called up to the Panthers in April 2013. On April 18, he made his NHL debut against the New York Rangers, playing in six games at the NHL level near the end of the season. He did not score any points, however, though he did record 25 penalty minutes.
Petrovic attended training camp with the Panthers prior to the 2013–14 season, and was expected to stick with the club for the entire season, but he was one of the earliest cuts and returned to San Antonio of the AHL. On January 26, 2016, Petrovic scored his first NHL goal against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Two weeks later on February 9 in a 7–4 Panthers win over the Buffalo Sabres at First Niagara Center, he picked up a goal and an assist but fought Evander Kane three times. The three fights by the same two adversaries in a single NHL match was the first such occurrence since Jody Shelley and Bob Probert did it on January 10, 2002.
During his seventh season with the Panthers in 2018–19, having slowed his production and effectiveness on the third-pairing with Florida producing just 1 assist in 26 games, Petrovic was traded to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for Chris Wideman and a conditional third-round pick in 2019 on December 30, 2018.
|2007–08||MLAC Maple Leafs||AMHL||31||3||8||11||80||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||Red Deer Rebels||WHL||10||1||0||1||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||Red Deer Rebels||WHL||66||1||12||13||70||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||Red Deer Rebels||WHL||57||8||19||27||87||4||0||0||0||4|
|2010–11||Red Deer Rebels||WHL||69||7||50||57||140||9||0||6||6||23|
|2011–12||Red Deer Rebels||WHL||68||12||36||48||141||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||5||0||1||1||0||9||2||4||6||14|
|2012–13||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||55||4||13||17||102||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||43||2||11||13||79||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||41||3||17||20||59||3||0||1||1||0|
Awards and honoursEdit
- "Rebels blue-liner has monster week". Times Colonist. 2010-06-26. Retrieved 2010-06-26. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Pee-Wee players who have reached NHL or WHA" (PDF). Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament. 2018. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- "Petrovic, Alexander". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "Alex Petrovic". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "Panthers agree to entry level contract with D Alex Petrovic". Florida Panthers. 2011-04-18. Retrieved 2011-04-18. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Alex Petrovic in his NHL debut". zimbio.com. 2013-04-18. Retrieved 2013-04-18. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Richards, George (2013-09-22). "Florida Panthers begin task of roster trims". Miami Herald. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "Panthers score early, hold off Sabres," nhl.com, Tuesday, February 9, 2016.
- Vogl, John. "Videos: Sabres' Kane wins three straight fights against Florida's Petrovic," The Buffalo News, Wednesday, February 10, 2016. Archived February 11, 2016, at the Wayback Machine
- "Oilers acquire defenseman Alex Petrovic". Edmonton Oilers. December 30, 2018. Retrieved December 30, 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Florida Panthers Petrovic hopes to crack crowded defensive corps this season
- "Alex Petrovic player profile". 'The Hockey News. 2011-04-05. Retrieved 2011-04-05. Italic or bold markup not allowed in: