||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Alexander Roy "Alex" Deakin (born 1974 in North Ferriby) is a weatherman for the Met Office. Deakin appeared regularly on BBC services and was one of the main weather presenters on the BBC News at Ten. In addition, he joined the Weather team on BBC Breakfast in January 2007 and appeared regularly at the weekends and as cover during the week.
Deakin attended South Hunsley Secondary School on East Dale Road in Melton and went on to achieve a master's degree from the University of Birmingham in Physics with Astrophysics. After university, Deakin joined the British Meteorological (Met) Office, for which he initially worked in a number of places, including York and Bristol. In 2000, he joined the team of Met Office staffers who provide weather forecasts for the BBC.
On 23 August 2003, Deakin appeared on the BBC/Open University's television programme Star Party, which was broadcast live from Jodrell Bank Observatory. In a number of segments during the show he gave reports on the type of weather that is experienced on Mars. In 2004, Deakin became patron of Pitsford Hall weather station in Northamptonshire.
In January 2012, Deakin appeared on The Great Sport Relief Bake Off. Deakin has appeared regularly on Countryfile when the programme has its weekly weather forecast, to read the weather forecast for the oncoming week.
Deakin is a keen recycler and in 2006 helped promote the recycling scheme of the Yorkshire town of Hessle. He also appeared on Celebrity Mastermind, first aired on 7 January 2010, the coldest day of the winter of 2009-10.
He left the BBC team in October 2016 to join the Met Office.
- "Alex Deakin". BBC. BBC. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "Alex Deakin: Biography and Images". TV News Room. TV News Room. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "The Great Sport Relief Bake Off". Sport Relief. Archived from the original on 14 February 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- "Weatherman Alex storming towards the Marathon". MS Society. 29 March 2016. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "RECYCLING SCHEME: TV weatherman presents final blue bin to Hessle resident" (PDF). East Riding News. East Riding County Council. April 2006. Archived (PDF) from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 27 October 2007.
- "Celebrity Mastermind". BBC One. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- Really excited to be heading to Exeter tomorrow to start a new challenge for @metoffice Sad to be leaving an amazing team at the BBC @alexdeakin, Twitter, 5 October 2016