Aleksei Serebryakov (actor)
Aleksei Valeryevich Serebryakov, PAR, HOR (Russian: Алексей Валерьевич Серебряков; born 3 July 1964) is a Russian Canadian stage performer and film actor. He started acting at 13, and now he is one of the most popular and highly paid Russian actors. He has appeared in Leviathan and McMafia.
Aleksei Valeryevich Serebryakov
3 July 1964
|Citizenship||Russia & Canada|
Early life and career beginningsEdit
Aleksei Valerevich Serebryakov was born on 3 July 1964 in Moscow. His father was an aircraft engineer and his mother worked as a doctor at the Gorky Film Studio. In his childhood, he attended a music school (class of accordion). He made his debut as an actor at 13, when his music teacher published a photo of him in the newspaper Vechernyaya Moskva. Serebryakov was noticed by casting directors Valery Uskov and Vladimir Krasnopolsky, who conducted castings for the Soviet TV series Eternal Call.
In 1986, he graduated from the Lunacharsky State Institute of Theatrical Art, where he went to the acting school of Oleg Tabakov, after which he played for several years at the Moscow Theatre-Studio "Tabakerka" directed by Oleg Tabakov. In 1991, he left the theater.
After graduating from the Russian Academy of Theatre Arts, Serebryakov starred in several films, including Silent Outpost (1986) and Accused of the Wedding (1986), and some others. He gained wide popularity due to his main character as a criminal fighter in Vladimir Feoktistov's movie Fan (1989).
In 1990, Serebryakov appeared in Afghan Breakdown, directed by Vladimir Bortko. He also starred in the 1990 film Accidental Waltz, for which he won the best actor prize at the Locarno Film Festival. In 1994, he appeared in the Sergey Livnov drama Hammer and Sickle.
Later in the decade, he also appeared in numerous TV series, including Bandit Petersburg, Empire under Attack, The White Guard and many others. Concurrently, he starred in the movies "Antikiller 2: Antiterror" and "Escape" by Yegor Konchalovsky, Dead Man's Bluff by Aleksei Balabanov, The 9th Company and Dark Planet by Fyodor Bondarchuk, Vadim Shmelev's The Apocalypse Code, Gloss by Andrei Konchalovsky, "Golden Section" by Sergei Debizhev, Once Upon a Time There Lived a Simple Woman by Andrei Smirnov, "Solo on the Saxophone" by Alexander Kirienko and the fantasy-anthology film Fairytale.Is.
He performed in Lenkom Theatre between 2009 and 2012. He played Sergei Mamontov in the partly biographical film The PyraMMMid (2011), a fictional story inspired by financier Sergei Mavrodi (the founder of MMM pyramid scheme). In 2014, Serebryakov played the lead role of Kolya in Andrei Zvyagintsev's internationally acclaimed drama Leviathan. After that, Serebryakov appeared in Sergei Puskepalis's directorial debut, Clinch.
In 2015–2016, he continued acting in TV series, including Fartsa and The Method. In 2017, he played role of Dr. Andrey Richter in Doctor Richter, a Russian remake of the American medical drama series, House. In the same year, he appeared in the historical fantasy feature film Furious. Serebryakov appeared in the 2018 BBC series McMafia, where he played Dmitri Godman, mafia boss father of protagonist Alex.
In 2018, Serebryakov became embroiled in controversy over his statement in an interview that the most common traits of Russian people are "[brutal] force, rudeness and arrogance". He also said in the interview that he does not like two things about Vladimir Putin—lies and thieving. At a business forum in London later that year, he accused Russia of stirring up multiple wars.
Serebryakov has been in a relationship with his wife Maria since the 1980s. They were married in the 1990s and have three children; one child from Maria's previous marriage and two whom they have adopted together. In March 2012, Serebryakov emigrated to Canada with his family, citing corruption and political unrest in Russia as barriers to raising his children.
- 1990: Locarno Film Festival – Best Actor Award ("Accidental Waltz").
- 1993: Sozvezdie Film Festival – special jury prize ("Higher measure").
- 1994: Film Festival "Kinoshock" – prize for the best male role ("Hammer and Sickle").
- 2000: Festival "Vivat, Cinema of Russia!" (St. Petersburg) – prize for the best male role ("Tests for Real Men").
- 2006: Festival "Vivat Cinema of Russia!" (St. Petersburg) – prize for the best role ("Vanyukhin's Children").
- 2014: "IFFI Best Actor Award (Male)" at 45th International Film Festival of India – (Leviathan).
|2020||SPAGAT / ШПАГАТ||Artem|
|2019||Space Dogs||Cosmic Voice||Narrator|
|2019||Van Goghs||Mark Ginsbourg||Artist|
|2018||How Vitka Chesnok Took Lyokha Shtyr to the Home for Invalids||Lyokha Shtyr|
|2017||Legend of Kolovrat||Prince Yuri||Grand prince of Ryazan|
|2016||Dr. Richter||Dr. Andrey Richter||Based on Dr. Gregory House|
|2015||Clinch||Vitaly Feodorov||Literature teacher.|
|2014||Leviathan||Kolya||Nominated-European Film Award for Best Actor|
|2011||The PyraMMMid||Sergei Mamontov|
|2011||Once Upon a Time There Lived a Simple Woman||Lebeda|
|2010||Ivanov||Nikolai Ivanov||Ivanov's adaptation|
|2008||The Inhabited Island||Strannik|
|2007||Tiski||Major Dudaitis, from FSKN|
|The Apocalypse Code||Sergei|
|Cargo 200||Alexei Belov|
|2005||The 9th Company||Capt. from reconnaissance unit|
|2005||Dead Man's Bluff||"Doctor"|
|2005||Run All Day||Colonel Pakhomov|
|2003||Antikiller 2: Antiterror (ru)||Uzhakh Aduev|
|1990||Afghan Breakdown||Sgt. Arsyonov|
|2000||Empire under Attack||Boris Savinkov|
|2000||Bandit Petersburg. Advocate||Oleg Zvantsev. "White Advocate"|
|2003||Bayazet (ru)||Lieutenant A.E. Karabanov|
|2003||World Wide 3||Makarius' father|
|2011||The White Guard||Felix Nay-Tours, colonel of the Hussars|
|2011||Diamond Hunters||Nikolai Shakhov|
- "Биография Алексея Серебрякова". RIA Novosti.
- "Алексей Серебряков". VokrugTV.
- Серебряков – об эмиграции, детях и законе подлецов [Serebryakov – about emigration, children and the law of scoundrels]. VDud.
- Vladimir Kozlov. "'Leviathan' Star Stirs Controversy, Says Russians Are "Rude" and "Arrogant"". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Nancy Tartaglione. "'Leviathan' & 'McMafia' Actor Under Fire For Anti-Russian Comments; Colleagues Respond". Deadline Hollywood.
- "Серебряков о Путине: Мне не нравятся два "В": вранье и воровство" [Serebryakov on Putin: I do not like two "V"s (Vladimir Vladimirovich): lies (vranye) and thieving (vorovstvo)]. Gordon.
- Алексей Серебряков – встреча в Лондоне [Alexey Serebryakov – meeting in London]. Elena Ringo.
- Ivan Belyaev. ""Опустившийся актёришка": патриоты снова атакуют Алексея Серебрякова" ["Washed up actor": the patriots are attacking Alexei Serebryakov again]. Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty.
- "Звезды, которые воспитывают приемных детей". 7days.
- Актер Алексей Серебряков сбежал в Канаду, не выдержав жизни в России(in Russian)
- Алексей Серебряков: После выборов власти придется "закручивать гайки" (in Russian). Argumenty i Fakty.