Alcohol laws of Indiana
This article needs to be updated.March 2017)(
Until 2018, Indiana was one of nearly a dozen U.S. states to ban all Sunday alcohol sales outside of bars and restaurants. That ban was repealed when Senate Bill 1 was signed by Gov. Eric Holcomb on February 28, 2018 . Effective March 4, 2018, convenience stores, grocers, and liquor stores may sell alcohol from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM on Sundays and after 7:00 AM on Mondays.
Effective July 4, 2010, beer sold in microbreweries may be sold on Sundays pursuant to Senate Bill 75. The sales must take place where the brewing is done. However, off-site sales may take place in trade shows and similar back door events. The sales limit is two cases per person, or 576 ounces.
Grocers, convenience stores and pharmacies are not allowed to sell cold beer.
Establishments that sell beverages by the "drink" must have food service for 25 persons at a minimum (hot soups, hot sandwiches, coffee, milk, and soft drinks) available at all times. It is unlawful for establishments to provide discounts on alcohol to certain customers or at certain times of day (e.g., during "happy hour") that are not available to everyone.
Sale or serving of alcoholic beverages from 3 a.m. Christmas Day until 7 a.m. December 26 was banned until HB 1542 was passed in 2015.
Indiana is not an alcoholic beverage control state.
Public intoxication is a class B misdemeanor in Indiana. To be in violation, one must be deemed a danger to one's self or others, or harassing/annoying/alarming other persons. (Indiana Code § 7.1-5-1-3.)
- Mitchell, Dawn; King, Robert (28 February 2018). "Cheers: The curious history of alcohol sales in Indiana". Indy Star. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2019-01-14. Retrieved 2018-03-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Indiana Code Title 7.1. Alcohol and Tobacco IN CODE § 7.1-2-5-17 | FindLaw". Findlaw. Retrieved 2017-02-14.
- Indiana Senate panel votes against expanding cold beer sales - Brian Slodysko, Chicago Tribune, 17 January 2017
- "ISEP: Rules & Laws". IN.gov. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- "Indiana ban on Christmas Day alcohol sales lifted". indystar.com. Retrieved 2015-11-22.