Alberto Mielgo (born 29 April 1979) is a Spanish director, artist, and animator. His accolades include an Academy Award, four Emmy Awards and two Annie Awards. Mielgo was an Art Director at Disney's Tron: Uprising (2013) and made his debut as a director with animated short film "The Witness" (2019) created for Netflix anthology: Love, Death & Robots.
|Born||April 29, 1979|
|Known for||Tron: Uprising, Love, Death & Robots: The Witness episode, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, The Beatles: Rock Band|
This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2020)
Born and raised in Spain, Mielgo is currently established in Los Angeles, after having worked and lived in various countries of Asia and Europe. Mielgo currently directs animations, and works as an Art Director. In his spare time, Mielgo does his own projects and paintings. While in London, Mielgo worked as an Art Director for Passion Pictures with Pete Candeland, Together they worked on The Beatles: Rock Band and Gorillaz projects.
Mielgo's notable early projects include Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, The Beatles: Rock Band, both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Tron: Uprising by Disney, for which he won in 2013 an Emmy Award and an Annie Award.
Mielgo was hired by Disney as an Art Director for the animated TV series Tron: Uprising in 2013. Director of Tron: Uprising Charlie Bean explained that the idea was to create a very special style for the digital show, which was not seen on TV or in the movies. Bean worked closely with Mielgo, character designer Robert Valley, and supervising car designer Daniel Simon. Simon was responsible for the vehicle designs seen in Tron: Legacy, including the Light Cycles. Mielgo won the Emmy Primetime Award for Outstanding Art Direction in 2013.
In 2015, Mielgo was a Production Designer/Art Director for Sony's Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and he created an early animation test for the film. At first, his main goal was to explore the world, comics, the past of Spider-Man, cinematography, language, style, opportunities. According to Daniel Caylor, one of the animators on the film, Mielgo’s animation was widely seen by the crew and inspired their work before they began working on the movie. The test animation was never completed - only four shots were completely finished and determined the visual language of the Oscar-winning film.
In 2019, Mielgo wrote, designed and directed "The Witness" episode for Netflix animation anthology series Love, Death & Robots, which has won three Emmys and an Annie award. Mielgo's involvement with the series began when he was approached by its supervising director, Gabriele Pennacchioli, who put him in touch with David Fincher and Tim Miller, both fans of his previous work. Love, Death & Robots show was released on Netflix on March 15, 2019 and had a very positive audience response. He recently directed two animated short films, The Windshield Wiper, a personal project focused on his vision of love and relationships, which won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film at the 94th Academy Awards and "Jibaro" for Love, Death & Robots. In 2019, Indie entertainment company Stampede — founded by former Warner Bros. Pictures president Greg Silverman — announced to produce Mielgo's debut full length animated feature film.
Mielgo won three Emmy Awards (2019) for Best Animated Short, Best Art Direction, Best Animation, and an Annie award (2019) for Best Art Direction of "The Witness" episode for Netflix Animation anthology Love, Death & Robots.
In March 2022, he won an Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film for The Windshield Wiper.
- "Emmy Awards of Alberto Mielgo". Television Academy. 2013–2019. Retrieved Apr 19, 2020.
- "40TH ANNUAL ANNIE AWARDS Legacy". ASIFA-HOLLYWOOD. 2013. Retrieved Apr 19, 2020.
- "47TH ANNUAL ANNIE AWARDS Legacy". ASIFA-HOLLYWOOD. 2013. Retrieved Apr 19, 2020.
- Yeoman, Kevin (Jun 8, 2012). "'TRON: Uprising' Series Premiere Review". Screenrant.com. Retrieved Apr 20, 2020.
- Ovenden, Olivia (March 14, 2019). "David Fincher's Netflix Series 'Love, Death & Robots' Is A Deep Dive Into Darkness". Esquire Magazine. Retrieved Apr 20, 2020.
- "Alberto Mielgo at Trojan Horse was a Unicorn". Trojan Horse was a Unicorn. 2016. Retrieved Apr 20, 2020.
- Giardina, Carolyn (Jul 22, 2019). "Animated Feature Via Stampede". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 19, 2020.
- Milligan, Mercedes (July 23, 2019). "Stampede Producing Original Feature by Emmy Winning Animator Alberto Mielgo". Animation Magazine. Retrieved Apr 19, 2020.
- Arrant, Chris (Oct 1, 2012). ""TRON: Uprising" Art Director Alberto Mielgo Will Exhibit in Downtown L.A." Cartoon Brew, LLC. Retrieved Apr 20, 2020.
- "Contemporary Art Curator Magazine". October 8, 2018. Retrieved Apr 19, 2020.
- Weisberegr, Jason (2009). "Everything but the Game: the Art and Motion of The Beatles: Rock Band". BoingBoing. Retrieved Apr 20, 2020.
- "TRON UPRISING Art Direction". Computer Graphics Daily News. 2013. Retrieved Apr 19, 2020.
- Campbell, Josie (May 18, 2012). "'Tron: Uprising' Producers Talk Timelines, Influences & the Grid". CBR.com. Retrieved Apr 20, 2020.
- Amidi, Amid (Jan 25, 2019). "Cartoon Brew: Early Boards For 'Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse'". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved Apr 20, 2020.
- Guido, Giulia (2019). "The Spiderman storyboard by Alberto Mielgo". Collater.al. Retrieved Apr 20, 2020.
- Major, David (Apr 6, 2019). "Netflix's Love, Death & Robots in Hong Kong: director of The Witness on his theme and inspiration". South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. Retrieved Apr 19, 2020.
- 'The Windshield Wiper' Wins Best Animated Short Film | 94th Oscars, retrieved 2022-05-10
- Mielgo, Alberto (2022-05-20), Episode #3.9, Love, Death & Robots, retrieved 2022-05-21
- "'The Windshield Wiper' Wins Best Animated Short Film Award at Oscars". 28 March 2022.