Albanian immigrants in Greece
After the Revolutions of 1989 throughout Eastern Europe in the late 1980s and early 1990s, a large number of economic refugees and immigrants from Greece's neighboring countries, Albania, Bulgaria, North Macedonia, Romania, as well as from more distant countries such as Russia, Ukraine, Armenia and Georgia, arrived in Greece, mostly as illegal immigrants, to seek employment. The vast majority of Albanians in Greece is estimated to be between 60–65% of the total number of immigrants in Greece. According to official data (2008), there are 459,390 holders of Albanian citizenship in Greece.
Albanians form the largest migrant group in Greece. A portion of Albanian newcomers change their Albanian name to Greek ones and their religion, if they are not Christian, from Islam to Orthodoxy. Even before emigration, some Albanians from the south of Albania adopt a Greek identity including name changes, adherence to the Orthodox faith, and other assimilation tactics in order to avoid prejudices against migrants in Greece. In this way, they hope to get valid visas and eventual naturalization in Greece.
- Migration and Migration Policy in Greece.[permanent dead link] Critical Review and Policy Recommendations. Anna Triandafyllidou. Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP)
- Mediterranean Migration Observatory - Tables Archived March 25, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- Armand Feka (2013-07-16). "Griechenlands verborgene Albaner". Wiener Zeitung. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-03-02.
Er lächelt und antwortet in einwandfreiem Griechisch: ‚Ich bin eigentlich auch ein Albaner.'
- Lars Brügger, Karl Kaser, Robert Pichler, Stephanie Schwander-Sievers (2002). Umstrittene Identitäten. Grenzüberschreitungen zuhause und in der Fremde. Die weite Welt und das Dorf. Albanische Emigration am Ende des 20. Jahrhunderts = Zur Kunde Südosteuropas: Albanologische Studien. Vienna: Böhlau-Verlag. p. Bd. 3. ISBN 3-205-99413-2.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Maroukis, Thanos (August 2005). "Albanian Migrants in Greece: Transcending 'Borders' in Development". Journal of Southern Europe and the Balkans. 7 (2): 213–233. doi:10.1080/14613190500133300.
- Pratsinakis, Emmanouil (August 2005). "Aspirations and Strategies of Albanian Immigrants in Thessaloniki". Journal of Southern Europe and the Balkans. 7 (2): 195–212. doi:10.1080/14613190500133284.
- Vidali, Maria. "Living in a Policy Vacuum: The Plight of Albanian Immigrants in Greece". Central Europe Review, 1999-11-15
|This Albania-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Greece-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|