Albania at the 2016 Summer Olympics
Albania competed at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 5 to 21 August 2016. This was the nation's eighth appearance at the Olympics after its debut in 1972. The National Olympic Committee of Albania sent a total of six athletes to the Games, three per gender, who competed in three sports (athletics, swimming, and weightlifting).
|Albania at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Albanian National Olympic Committee|
|in Rio de Janeiro|
|Competitors||6 in 3 sports|
|Flag bearer||Luiza Gega|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Notable athletes in the Albanian roster featured weightlifter and London 2012 Olympian Briken Calja, swimmer Sidni Hoxha, who competed at his third Olympics in the sprint freestyle, and middle-distance runner Luiza Gega, who was selected to carry the nation's flag in the opening ceremony. Albania has yet to win its first Olympic medal.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- NM = No mark
|Izmir Smajlaj||Long jump||7.72||21||Did not advance|
|Luiza Gega||3000 m steeplechase||9:58.49||16||Did not advance|
|Sidni Hoxha||Men's 50 m freestyle||22.80||41||Did not advance|
|Nikol Merizaj||Women's 100 m freestyle||59.99||43||Did not advance|
Albania qualified one male weightlifter for the Olympics by virtue of his top 15 individual finish, among those who had not secured any quota places through the World or European Championships, in the IWF World Rankings as of June 20, 2016. The place was awarded to London 2012 Olympian Briken Calja in the men's lightweight division (69 kg).
Meanwhile, an unused women's Olympic spot was awarded to the Albanian team by IWF, as a result of Russia's complete ban from the Games due to the "multiple positive cases" of doping. This place was given to Evagjelia Veli.
|Athlete||Event||Snatch||Clean & Jerk||Total||Rank|
|Briken Calja||Men's −69 kg||145||5||181||5||326||5|
|Evagjelia Veli||Women's −53 kg||75||9||90||8||165||8|
- "Rio 2016: Albania to participate with only a handful of athletes". Tirana Times. 8 July 2016. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Ekipi Olimpik Shqiptar pjesemarres ne "RIO 2016"" [Albania's Olympic team will compete in Rio 2016] (in Albanian). National Olympic Committee of Albania. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Lojërat 'Rio 2016', shkon në 6 numri i sportistëve shqiptarë" [The number of Albanian athletes in Rio 2016 rises to 6] (in Albanian). 29 July 2016. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – Rio 2016 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Swimming World Rankings". FINA. Archived from the original on 6 January 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Rio 2016 – FINA Swimming Qualification System" (PDF). Rio 2016. FINA. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 February 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Avdiaj, Olsa (11 July 2016). "Lojërat Olimpike, vetëm 2 sportistë të kualifikuar" [Only two athletes qualified for the Games] (in Macedonian). Shekulli. Archived from the original on 26 April 2016. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- "Briken Calja konfirmon: Jam zyrtarisht në Olimpiadë" [Briken Calja confirms: I'm officially at the Olympics]. Telesport.al. 24 June 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "IWF EB decision on Russian participation at the Rio 2016 OG". International Weightlifting Federation. 29 July 2016. Retrieved 29 July 2016.