Albania at the 2012 Summer Olympics
Albania competed at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, United Kingdom from 27 July to 12 August 2012. This was the nation's seventh appearance at the Olympics since its debut in 1972. The National Olympic Committee of Albania sent a total of 11 athletes to the Games, seven men and four women, to compete in four sports. Weightlifter Hysen Pulaku was officially removed from the team on the first day, after failing a drug test for the banned anabolic steroid substance, as announced by the International Olympic Committee. Albania, however, has yet to win its first ever Olympic medal.
|Albania at the|
2012 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Albanian National Olympic Committee|
|Competitors||11 in 5 sports|
|Flag bearer||Romela Begaj|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Albania has qualified 1 female quota place, and selected 1 male athlete by wildcard.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- Track & road events
|Klodiana Shala||Women's 200 m||Withdrew due to injury|
- Field events
|Adriatik Hoxha||Men's shot put||17.58||37||Did not advance|
Albania had not initially qualified a judoka, but due to the International Olympic Committee's refusal to allow Kosovars of Albanian ethnicity to represent Kosovo[a] or to compete as independent athletes, Majlinda Kelmendi represented Albania at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
|Athlete||Event||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Repechage||Final / BM|
|Majlinda Kelmendi||Women's −52 kg|| Sundberg (FIN)
| Legentil (MRI)
|Did not advance|
|Arben Kucana||Men's 10 m air pistol||577||20||Did not advance|
|Men's 50 m pistol||524||37||Did not advance|
Albanian swimmers are invited. One men and female.
|Sidni Hoxha||Men's 100 m freestyle||51.11 NR||37||Did not advance|
|Noel Borshi||Women's 100 m butterfly||1:05.49||40||Did not advance|
Albania has qualified three men and one female quota places. On 28 July, the International Olympic Committee announced that Hysen Pulaku had tested positive for stanozolol, a banned anabolic steroid, and consequently ejected him from the games.
|Athlete||Event||Snatch||Clean & Jerk||Total||Rank|
|Briken Calja||Men's −69 kg||143||12||177||7||320||9|
|Endri Karina[a]||Men's −94 kg||155||15||195||14||350||14|
|Romela Begaj||Women's −58 kg||101||7||115||12||216||11|
|a.||^ The Albanian weightlifter, Erkand Qerimaj, resulted positive in the anti-doping test at the European Championship in Antalya, where he was found European Champion for 77 kg. He provisionally is suspended and replaced by Endri Karina.|
|b.||^ Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the 2013 Brussels Agreement. Kosovo is currently recognized as an independent state by 97 out of the 193 United Nations member states. In total, 112 UN member states recognized Kosovo at some point, of which 15 later withdrew their recognition.|
- Reuters. "Hysen Pulaku becomes first doping cheat of London Olympics". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Skuadra olimpike". balkanweb. Archived from the original on 3 February 2016. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- Kosovarja Majlinda Kelmendi do përfaqësojë Shqipërinë në Lojërat Olimpike Archived 28 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine, Tema, 2012-05-25 (in Albanian)
- Men's Weightlifting Quotas
- Përcaktohet ekipi i Londrës, Vizion Plus, 2012-04-26 (in Albanian)
- Erkand Qerimaj, positive in doping test Archived 29 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine, Top Channel, 24 May 2012
- Përjashtohet Erkand Qerimaj, Top Channel, 2012-06-07 (in Albanian)
- ""Albania – Athletes" at the London 2012 Olympics". Archived from the original on 26 August 2012. Retrieved 2016-03-18.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)