Alban Bekim Hoxha (Albanian pronunciation: [alban ˈhɔdʒa];[first name stress?] born 23 November 1987) is an Albanian professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Albanian club Partizani Tirana and the Albania national team.
|Full name||Alban Bekim Hoxha|
|Date of birth||23 November 1987|
|Place of birth||Cërrik, Albania|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2005–2006||→ Turbina Cërrik (loan)|
|2009||→ Apolonia Fier (loan)||8||(0)|
|2010||→ Kosova Vushtrri (loan)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 25 August 2018|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 28 March 2017
Hoxha started youth football at age of 6 and was raised through the ranks at his hometown team Turbina Cërrik before joining the youth team of Dinamo Tirana in 2004. He was loaned back out to Turbina Cërrik for the 2005–06 campaign, where he played in the Albanian First Division. He returned the following season and joined the first team at Dinamo as Ilion Lika understudy. He made his top flight debut with Dinamo on 10 March 2007 in a home game against Elbasani. He featured in 11 league games between March and the end of the season due to first choice keeper Lika being sidelined with injury.
The following season, he became second choice to Elvis Kotorri following the departure of Ilion Lika, and he made 2 league appearances as Dinamo were crowned Albanian Superliga champions for the first time since 2002. During the first half of the 2008–09 season he only made one league and one cup appearance before being loaned out to fellow Superliga side Apolonia Fier in January for the remainder of the season. He made 8 appearances while on loan at Apolonia Fier and kept 3 clean sheets, helping the team avoid the relegation play-off places by a single point.
He returned to his parent club Dinamo ahead of the 2009–10 season and made 6 league appearances as he won his second Superliga title with Dinamo. The following season, he competed with Albanian international Isli Hidi for the first choice spot in the team, and following Hidi's departure to Olympiakos Nicosia in January 2011 he became Dinamo's first choice keeper for the first time and eventually featured in 24 league games as Dinamo narrowly avoided relegation after beating Besëlidhja Lezhë in the relegation play-off.
On 22 August 2011, Hoxha completed a transfer to Kastrioti Krujë by penning a one-year contract as a free agent. There he competed with Argjent Halili for the starting lineup, ultimately losing out as he only made 6 league appearances, and was used mainly in the Albanian Cup, where he featured 10 times. He left the club at the end of the season along with Halili, and was in talks with Kukësi regarding a possible transfer, but a move never materialised as an agreement could not be reached.
He joined Besa Kavajë ahead of the 2012–13 campaign and was immediately made the first choice goalkeeper ahead of Ibrahim Bejte. Throughout the season Hoxha made 23 league and 2 cup appearances, helping Besa to a 9th-place finish, avoiding the relegation play-off places.
Hoxha went 1,084 minutes without conceding a goal during 2014–15 Albanian Superliga season and got the all-time Albanian Superliga record as he broke the 30-year-old record set by the goalkeeper of KS Labinoti Elbasan (modern day called KF Elbasani), Bujar Gogunja, who kept intact net goal for 1037 minutes. At the end of 2014, Hoxha was named Albanian Footballer of the Year for his performances throughout the season.
On 1 November 2015, during the league match against Teuta Durrës, Hoxha suffered a jaw-injury after a clash with his team-mate Gëzim Krasniqi in the 76th minute of the match, being taken off the field by an ambulance.
On 20 July 2016, in the returning leg of Champions League second qualifying round at Groupama Arena, Hoxha was the main protagonist of the game. After the regular and extra time had finished in a 1–1 draw, the game was decided in a penalty shootout where Hoxha saved three penalties after himself having scored a 'Panenka'. It was the first time that Partizani Tirana successfully progressed to the Champions League third qualifying round.
On 9 August 2017, Hoxha agreed a new contract extension with the club, signing until 2020. Hoxha was excluded from the lineup in the opening matchday of championship against Laçi, lost 0–2. Following the match, manager Mark Iuliano said that Hoxha has violated the club's rules. It was reported that Hoxha left the team's gather without permission. Club director Luciano Moggi said that Hoxha would not play unless he apologises to the team, but Hoxha refused and instead handed in his captaincy.
In July 2018, Hoxha was renamed captain following the departure of Idriz Batha. Despite the club finishing 5th in the previous season, Skënderbeu Korçë's exclusion from the UEFA competitions meant that Partizani had qualified for the 2018–19 UEFA Europa League first qualifying round. The team faced Slovenia's NK Maribor, and lost both matches 3–0 on aggregate which brought the early elimination from the competition. Hoxha commenced his domestic season by playing in the opening match of 2018–19 Albanian Superliga, conceding an injury time penalty for a foul on Dejvi Bregu which caused the loss. Hoxha faced another penalty in the second matchday against Kamza; the penalty was conceded in the 45th minute with the score still 0–0, but Hoxha managed to save Sebino Plaku's attempt as Partizani would later score and win the match 1–0 for the first three points of the season.
After the end of the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification, the second choice goalkeeper Samir Ujkani left the team to play for the Kosovo. Albania were looking forward for a third choice behind Etrit Berisha, which was a starter choice and Orges Shehi, which became second choice after leaving of Ujkani.
UEFA Euro 2016 campaignEdit
For the UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying second round matches against Denmark and Serbia in October 2014, Hoxha received his first senior team call-up by the Albania coach Gianni De Biasi as a third choice goalkeeper. He remained as an unused substitute for both matches. For the friendlies against France and Italy in November 2014, Hoxha had some issue family problems and he was replaced with the fellow Albanian Superliga goalkeeper Stivi Frashëri of KF Tirana.
Hoxha didn't managed to play any minute of all Group A matches as Albania were eliminated by ranking in the 3rd place behind hosts France against which they lost 2–0 and Switzerland against which they also lost 1–0 in the opening match and ahead of Romania by beating them 1–0 in the closing match with a goal by Armando Sadiku. Albania finished the group in the third position with three points and with a goal difference –2, and was ranked last in the third-placed teams, which eventually eliminated them.
2018 FIFA World Cup campaignEdit
On 12 November 2016, in the matchday 4 of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification against Israel, Hoxha made his competitive debut by coming on as a 57th minute substitute to save a penalty kick from Eran Zahavi with Albania already 0–1 down, however, he conceded two more goals as "Red and Blacks" were defeated 0–3 at Elbasan Arena.
Hoxha was married with his longtime girlfriend Dorjana Haka. They became parents in November 2014 where Dorjana Haka gave birth to a boy but she died at the time of the birth in a Hospital in Tiranë due to negligence of doctors. However the baby survived. He is currently engaged with the Albanian singer Ciljeta.
|Dinamo Tirana||2004–05||Albanian Superliga||0||0||0||0||—||—||0||0|
|Turbina Cërrik (loan)||2005–06||Albanian First Division||0||0||0||0||—||—||0||0|
|Apolonia Fier (loan)||2008–09||Albanian Superliga||8||0||0||0||—||—||8||0|
|Kosova Vushtrri (loan)||2009–10||Superleague of Kosovo||?||?||?||?||—||—||0||0|
|Kastrioti Krujë||2011–12||Albanian Superliga||6||0||11||0||—||—||17||0|
|Besa Kavajë||2012–13||Albanian Superliga||23||0||2||0||—||—||25||0|
|Partizani Tirana||2013–14||Albanian Superliga||31||0||3||0||—||—||34||0|
- Dinamo Tirana
- "Alban Hoxha – Euro 2016 profile" (in Albanian). FSHF. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
• Kur i keni patur fillesat me futbollin? Kur keni filluar të luani si futbollist profesionist? Cdo gjë rreth futbolli filloi në moshën 6 vjecare!
- Andi Matraxhiu (6 June 2011). "Alban Hoxha premton besnikëri: "Dinamon e pres deri në fund"" [Alban Hoxha promises loyalty: "I'm gonna wait for Dinamo until the end"] (in Albanian). Sporti Shqiptar. Retrieved 8 June 2011.[dead link]
- "Dinamo 1-1 Elbasani". Football Database. 10 March 2007. Retrieved 10 March 2007.
- "Dinamo, 17 here kampione e Shqiperise!" [Dinamo, 17th time Albania champion!] (in Albanian). Arkiva Lajmeve. 18 May 2008. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Besëlidhja Lezhë vs. Dinamo Tirana 1 – 4". Soccerway. 26 May 2011. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- Alban Hoxha at AlbaniaSoccer
- "Levizjet/ Alban Hoxha dhe Elton Grami bashkohen me Kastriotin" [Alban Hoxha and Elton Grami joins Kastrioti] (in Albanian). Albania Soccer. 22 August 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- Murat Aruçi (6 June 2012). "Kastrioti pa portier, Hoxha dhe Halilaj drejt largimit" [Kastrioti without goalkeeper, Hoxha and Halilaj towards departure] (in Albanian). Panorama Sport. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Prodani firmos me 3 "dema të kuq"" [Prodani signs with 3 "red bulls"] (in Albanian). Panorama Sport. 20 June 2013. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "Hoxha thyen rekordin: Ia dedikoj gruas dhe djalit, emocion i papërshkrueshëm" [Hoxha breaks the record: I didicate to my wife and son, an indescribable emotion] (in Albanian). Panorama Sport. 14 December 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Alban Hoxha "Lojtari i Vitit 2014". Kapiteni merr më shumë vota nga të gjithë" [Alban Hoxha "Player of the Year 2014". Captain takes more votes than everybody] (in Albanian). Panorama Sport. 24 December 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Alban Hoxha është shpallur si lojtari i muajit Mars në Superligë nga shoqata "Sporti na bashkon"" [Alban Hoxha is named player of the month March in Superleague from association "Sporti na bashkon".]. Superliga Shqiptare. 3 April 2015. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Alban Hoxha largohet me ambulance nga stadjumi" [Alban Hoxha flee from the stadium with ambulance] (in Albanian). Albania Soccer. 1 November 2015. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Andi Deçka (21 July 2016). "Alban Hoxha, mrekullia e Budapestit" [Alban Hoxha, the miracle of Budapest] (in Albanian). SuperSport Albania. Archived from the original on 7 August 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- Andi Deçka (21 July 2016). "11 metrat e historisë, Hoxha kualifikon Partizanin" [11 metres of history, Hoxha qualifies Partizani] (in Albanian). SuperSport Albania. Archived from the original on 7 August 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Partizani "çmend" Europën, "demat" tërbojnë hungarezët" [Partizani "madden" Europe, "bulls" enrage the hungarians] (in Albanian). Sport Ekspres. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Partizani Tirana vs. Flamurtari Vlorë 4 – 0". Soccerway. 17 October 2016. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Zyrtare / Alban Hoxha Rinovon Me Partizanin" [Official / Alban Hoxha Renews With Partizani] (in Albanian). Partizani.al. 9 August 2017. Retrieved 9 August 2017.[permanent dead link]
- Andi Deçka (10 September 2017). "Iuliano debuton me humbje, mundet Partizani" [Iuliano debuts with a loss, Partizani defeated] (in Albanian). SuperSport Albania. Archived from the original on 11 September 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- "Iuliano: Alban Hoxha ka thyer rregullat. Krijuam 20 raste ndaj një skuadre që vetëm mbrohej" [Iuliano: Alban Hoxha has break the rules. We created 20 chances against a team which only defended] (in Albanian). Panorama Sport. 10 September 2017. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- "Ekskluzive / Dënimi i Alban Hoxhës, zbulohen arsyet pse klubi pezulloi kapitenin" [Exclusive / Alban Hoxha's punishment, the reasons are unveiled why the club suspended the captain] (in Albanian). Panorama Sport. 10 September 2017. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- "Alban Hoxha lë shiritin e kapitenit të Partizanit: Bëhem shembull për të gjithë" [Alban Hoxha leaves the Partizani's captain armband: I become an example for all] (in Albanian). Panorama Sport. 15 September 2017. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- "Alban Hoxha kapiteni i ri Partizanit" [Alban Hoxha the new captain of Partizani] (in Albanian). Lexo.al. 3 July 2018. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Lajm i Fundit/ UEFA merr vendim, Partizani në Europë, Skënderbeu jashtë" [Breaking news/ UEFA takes the decision, Partizani in Europe, Skënderbeu out] (in Albanian). Superliga Shqiptare. 11 June 2018. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Partizani 0-1 Maribor". UEFA.com. 12 July 2018. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Maribor 2-0 Partizani". UEFA.com. 19 July 2018. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- Sotir Kora (17 August 2018). "Skënderbeu e nis si kampion, Shehi debuton me fitore" [Skënderbeu starts like champion, Shehi debutes with a win] (in Albanian). SuperSport Albania. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- "Plaku fal, Telushi jo, Partizani rrëmben fitoren e parë sezonale" [Plaku tolerates, Telushi not, Partizani grabs the first seasonal win] (in Albanian). Sport Ekspres. 25 August 2018. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "Maqedonia 4–2 Shqipëria - 2005-10-23 - European Under-19 Championship - FSHF.org". Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Rumania 2–0 Shqipëria - 2005-10-27 - European Under-19 Championship - FSHF.org". Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Shqipëria 0–2 Turqia - 2005-10-25 - European Under-19 Championship - FSHF.org". Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Largimi i parë, Ujkani le Shqipërinë për Kosovën" [The first departure, Ujkani leaves Albania for Kosovo] (in Albanian). Albeu.com. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- Ermal Kuka (29 September 2014). "Shqipëria kërkon një portier për vendin e lënë bosh nga Ujkani" [Albania wants a goalkeeper to fill the place left empty from Ujkani] (in Albanian). Gazeta SHQIP. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "De Biazi: Me Danimarkën duhet përqëndrim" [De Biasi: With Denmark we need concentration] (in Albanian). FSHF.org. 4 October 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Zbardhet lista për miqësoret, Gashi dhe Meha mbeten jashtë" [The list for friendlies in unveiled, Gashi and Meha remains out] (in Albanian). Panorama Sport. 8 November 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Shqipëria barazon 2-2 me Gjeorgjinë; tifozët protestojnë ndaj FSHF-së" [Albania draw 2-2 with Georgia; the fans protests against AFA] (in Albanian). Top Channel. 16 November 2015. Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- Fatjon Pandovski (21 May 2016). "De Biasi leaves out Albanian top scorer Salihi". UEFA. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- "De Biasi shpall listën zyrtare të Euro 2016". FSHF.org. 31 May 2016. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "UEFA EURO 2016 - Albania - Matches". UEFA.com. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Albania out of Euro 2016 after Portugal draw with Hungary". Fourfourtwo.com. 22 June 2016. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Albania 0–3 Israel". FIFA.com. 12 November 2016. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Izraeli dhe Aytekin mposhtin Shqipërinë" [Israel and Ayketin defeats Albania] (in Albanian). Koha.mk. 12 November 2016. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- "Gruaja e portierit Alban Hoxha vdiq nga neglizhenca, prokuroria çon në gjykatë dy mjekë" [The wife of goalkeeper Alban Hoxha has died of negligence, prosecution leads two doctors to court] (in Albanian). Gazeta Panorama. 22 July 2015. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- "Çiljeta dhe Alban Hoxha më të dashuruar se kurrë" [Çiljeta and Alban Hoxha more in love than ever] (in Albanian). Top-Channel.tv. 16 March 2018. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Alban Hoxha at Soccerway. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Football : Alban Hoxha". Football Database. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- "Hoxha, Alban". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmerman. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Alban Hoxha - national football team player". EU-Football.info. Retrieved 9 August 2017.