This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Early life and educationEdit
In 1985 he launched Alan Flusser Custom which focuses on custom and made-to-measure suits.
Flusser designed the wardrobe for Gordon Gekko (played by Michael Douglas) in Wall Street and designed clothing for the films Barbarians at the Gate, Scent of a Woman, and American Psycho (film) starring Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman.
Flusser had huge influence on popular culture through movies that today have cult following, most notably Wall Street and American Psycho. He played a major role in promotion of style inspired by 1930s, which is today accepted as a golden age of men’s fashion. In his own words:
"For the first time American men realized that clothing should not be worn to hide the natural lines of the body, but, rather, to conform to them, thereby enhancing he male physique. At the same time, clothes should not be too obvious. Instead, they had to become part of the man who was wearing them. The idea of clothing was not to set the man apart (as had been the case for centuries, when kings and noblemen dressed primarily to accomplish just that) but to allow him to be an individual among individuals…. Americans had finally learned that the goal of good clothing was to flatter rather than be conspicuous."
Flusser book "Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion," is one of most influential sartorial books.
- Flusser, Alan (1981). Making the Man: The Insider's Guide to Buying Men's Clothes. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0-671-79147-8.
- Flusser, Alan (1985). Clothes and the Man: The Principles of Fine Men's Dress. Villard. ISBN 0-394-54623-7.
- Flusser, Alan (1996). Style and the Man: How and Where to Buy Fine Men's Clothes. HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-270155-X.
- Flusser, Alan (2002). Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion. HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-019144-9.
- Flusser, Alan (2010). Style and the Man. HarperCollins. ISBN 9780061976155.
- Flusser, Alan (2019). Ralph Lauren: In His Own Fashion. Harry N. Abrams. ISBN 978-1419741463.
Awards and honorsEdit
- "Harper Collins page". Archived from the original on 2007-03-11. Retrieved 2006-08-14.
- Style File: Alan Flusser The Star-Ledger July 7, 2008
- "Boom or Bust, Wall Street Finds Designer Alan Flusser's Stock Is Secure". Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- "Guys Shouldn't Be Afraid to Wear Horizontal Stripes". Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- "Alan Flusser, Author". Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- "See How Men's Style Has Evolved Over 100 Years". Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- "Cotty[sic] Winners: Smith And Flusser". New York Times. September 30, 1983. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- "Menswear winners six designers sail away with Cutty Sark Awards". Retrieved 19 October 2019.
|This biographical article related to fashion is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|