Al Zawiya University
The University of Zawia (Arabic: جامعة الزاوية, romanized: Jamaa't Azzawia, previously known as Seventh of April University) is a university located in the city of Zawiya, Libya. It was established as an independent university in 1988. The campus is six kilometres south of the city centre, and serves the Zawiya, Jafara and Nuqat al Khams districts.
In 1983, University of Tripoli established a branch of their College of Education in Zawia. In 1988, the institution was established as an independent university, called the Seventh of April University, with separate administration and funding. The reference to 7 April was officially described by the university as referring to "the great student event on the seventh of April 1976". On 7 April 1976, student protests took place in Tripoli and Benghazi protesting against human rights, calling for a civilian government and free and fair elections. Counterdemonstrations took place on the same day and "many students were detained for months". The date of 7 April was used from the first anniversay on 7 April 1977 and annually to the late 1980s as a date for public executions in Libya in reference to the "great student event". The Organizing Committee for the April Demonstration called the usage of the 7 April anniversary as a "trademark" of Muammar Gaddafi's government.
- "Seventh of April University"[permanent dead link] Directory of African Higher Education Institutions
- "Seventh of April University" Archived 2009-08-16 at the Wayback Machine
- "An Overview of The University" Archived 2008-07-29 at the Wayback Machine Seventh of April University
- Libya's General People's Committee's Decision No. 35 of 1988
- "Libya: The significance of 7 April; whether it is a day on which dissidents are hanged and if this practice has been in existence since 1970". Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. 2003-01-07. LBY40606.E. Archived from the original on 2019-11-16. Retrieved 2019-11-16.
- "Al Zawiya University – Jamaa't Azzawia". International Association of Universities. 2017-10-18. IAU-009758. Archived from the original on 2019-11-16. Retrieved 2019-11-16.
- "University of Zawia". University of Zawia. 2019. Archived from the original on 2019-11-16. Retrieved 2019-11-16.