|Member of the Philadelphia City Council|
from the At-Large District
|Assumed office |
January 4, 2016
|Preceded by||Dennis M. O'Brien|
|Born||August 18, 1953|
|Children||Matthew, Elisabeth, William and Sarah|
|Residence||Fox Chase, Philadelphia|
|Alma mater||Northeast High School Penn State University|
|Occupation||President, Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce |
|Website||Al For Council |
A resident of Northeast Philadelphia, Taubenberger was President of the Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, a private organization of over 900 members, from 1991-2015.  He worked as Councilman Jack Kelly's chief-of-staff, was vice-chair of the Philadelphia Tax Reform Commission, member of the Philadelphia Zoning Code Commission, administrator of the Philadelphia City Council Republican Caucus, and ran the district office of U.S. Rep. Charles F. Dougherty.
Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of CommerceEdit
Al Taubenberger served as the President the Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce from 1991 to 2015.
After graduating from Penn State University, his first job was grounds supervisor at Friends Hospital. He later held staff jobs for Republican Congressman Charles F. Dougherty in the early 1980s and later for two City Council members, Democrat Joan Krajewski and Republican Jack Kelly. In 1979, Taubenberger joined the district offices for Congressman Charles F. Dougherty. Within a year, Charlie had promoted him to the Director of Constituent Relations, where Taubenberger supervised 3 offices and 12 people. Following his time with Dougherty's office, he joined the Mid-Atlantic Trade Adjustment Assistance Center which was a program of the United States Department of Commerce. The program was designed to help American companies which were adversely affected by foreign import competition. Under Councilwoman Joan Krajewski,he was the Administrator Secretary for City Council's Economic Development Committee. In addition, Taubenberger served as the Business Liaison for Councilwoman Krajewski's office.
Before his long tenure with the GNPCC (see below), Taubenberger was Councilman Jack Kelly's chief-of-staff, but also had a dual title as the administrator of the Philadelphia City Council Republican Caucus.
In 2007, Taubenberger ran for mayor of Philadelphia against Michael Nutter. Taubenberger was defeated by the a then-record margin in Mayoral history - losing 82.52% to 17.07%.After the election, Mayor Nutter appointed Taubenberger to the newly formed bipartisan Philadelphia Jobs Commission.
In 2011, Taubenberger ran for an at-large seat on City Council. In the general election, Taubenberger finished narrowly behind David Oh losing by 203 votes for the final at-large City Council seat. Taubenberger earned 6,606 more votes than Oh in Northeast Philadelphia's 14 wards but Oh made up the deficit in North Philadelphia and West Philadelphia.
In 2015, Taubenberger ran for an at-large seat on City Council. The city council has seven at-large seats, two of which are designated for Republicans. He faced a field of five candidates, which included incumbents Dennis M. O'Brien and David Oh. With nearly 99 percent of the ballots counted, Oh and Taubenberger were declared the winners of the two seats.
Taubenberger is a child of German parents who immigrated from Germany in the 1930s. Taubenberger was raised in Northeast Philadelphia in the Burholme neighborhood. He has been married twice and has 4 children. His children, Matthew, Elisabeth, and Sarah were conceived in his first marriage to his ex-wife Barbara Muller. He currently resides in the Fox Chase, Philadelphia neighborhood with his second wife Joanne Brenner Taubenberger and their son William where they are parishioners of Saint Cecilia Parish. Taubenberger is a cousin to world-renowned virologist Jeffery Taubenberger, of Washington, D.C., is Chief of the Viral Pathogenesis and Evolution Section, Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and National Institutes of Health.
- "GNPCC". GNPCC. 2013-11-26. Retrieved 2015-09-14.
- Catherine Lucey. "Former Controller Saidel to endorse Taubenberger for Council". Philly.com. Retrieved 2015-09-14.
- "Al Taubenberger's Biography - The Voter's Self Defense System". Vote Smart. Retrieved 2015-09-14.
- Phillymag (2007-09-25). "Politics: Poor Al - Articles". Phillymag.com. Retrieved 2015-09-14.
- "View Election Results". Philadelphiavotes.com. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "Mayor Nutter, Council President Clarke, Appoint Members of the Job Commission | City of Philadelphia's News & Alerts". Cityofphiladelphia.wordpress.com. 2012-05-01. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "After the election, it's all in the numbers | Broad Street Media". Northeasttimes.com. 2011-12-14. Retrieved 2015-09-14.
- "Introducing the Ballot Box App". Philadelphiavotes.com. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "Last Phila. Council race too close to call - philly-archives". Philly.com. 2015-11-06. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "Saint Cecilia Parish". Stceciliafc.org. Retrieved 2015-09-14.
- "Jeffery Taubenberger, M.D., Ph.D., Viral Pathogenesis and Evolution, Infectious Diseases Lab". Niaid.nih.gov. 2012-10-11. Retrieved 2015-09-14.