Al Jazeera Türk
Al Jazeera Türk (AJT) was a news website in Turkish. It was owned by the Qatar backed Al Jazeera Media Network. Attempts to launch a television network do not appear to have succeeded. The website was shut down on 3 May 2017.
Type of site
|Owner||Al Jazeera Media Network|
|Created by||Al Jazeera Turk|
Early background and first launch attemptEdit
In February 2011, the Savings Deposit Insurance Fund of Turkey put Cine5 up for sale after the channel was confiscated when the owner Erol Aksoy went in debt and became bankrupt. Al Jazeera made a bid for the network and acquired it for $40.5 million after an unsuccessful $21 million bid. Al Jazeera then renamed the channel and is currently working on launching Al Jazeera Turkish.
On April 2012, there were reports of the channel being delayed over its refusal to call the Kurdistan Workers Party as "terrorists" as most Turkish news outlets do, citing journalistic standards. The Foreign Ministry, who advocated the project, became at odds with the channel. Vural Ak, a major Turkish investor, withdrew from the partnership with Al Jazeera. Nuh Yilmaz, head of Al Jazeera's Turkish editorial team, also resigned.
Digital online launchEdit
Plans and efforts to launch the channel restarted in 2013 shortly after the launch of Al Jazeera America. On January 21, 2014, Al Jazeera Turk`s website launched with news content. The move made Al Jazeera Turk the first 24-hour news operation to go digital before broadcast.
Also like its English, Arabic and Balkans counterparts the channel had its own digital Magazine.
The channel was under construction with plans to launch towards the end of 2014. Construction and indoor works were underway at the upcoming channel’s building in Topkapı, İstanbul. The channel claimed its news center was built around the channel’s regional vision.
- "Turkey's Deposit Insurance Fund to sell three media organs". World Bulletin. 18 January 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Al Jazeera to buy Turkey's Cine 5 TV station for $40.5 mlns". Today's Zaman. 12 February 2011. Archived from the original on 4 February 2013. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Al-Jazeera bids for Turkish TV station". The Jerusalem Post. 4 February 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Al Jazeera acquires Turkey's Cine 5". Hurriyet Daily News. 10 February 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- Neal Ungerleider (9 February 2011). "Al Jazeera, Stymied in U.S., Launching Turkish-Only Channel". Fast Company. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- Cengiz Semercioglu (8 April 2012). "Diplomatic and Linguistic Roadblocks Keep Al Jazeera Turkish From Airing". Worldcrunch. Retrieved 24 November 2012.