|Publisher||Syrian Arab Publishing and Distributing Company|
|Sister newspapers||Al Iqtissadiya|
History and profileEdit
Al Watan was launched in 2006. The paper is published by the Syrian Arab Publishing and Distributing Company. It is the country's first private daily newspaper since the 1960s (not counting the state party organ Al-Baath), but its editorial line and reporting is practically identical to that of the public-owned papers. In fact, the owner of the daily is the cousin of the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Rami Makhlouf. Its sister daily is Al Iqtissadiya.
- Dany Badran (2013). "Democracy and Rhetoric in the Arab World". The Journal of the Middle East and Africa. 4 (1): 65–86. doi:10.1080/21520844.2013.772685.
- Salam Kawakibi (2010). "The Private Media in Syria" (PDF). University of Amsterdam and Hivos. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- Pies, Judith; Philip Madanat (June 2011). "Media Accountability Practices Online in Syria" (PDF). MediaAcT. Working Paper series (10/2011). Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- "Syria". Arab Press Network. Archived from the original on 25 August 2012. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Forbes Releases Top 50 MENA Online Newspapers; Lebanon Fails to Make Top 10". Jad Aoun. 28 October 2010. Retrieved 11 September 2014.