|Other names||西村 朗|
Nishimura studied composition and musical theory on a graduate course at Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music. He also studied Asian traditional music, religion, aesthetics, cosmology and the heterophonic concepts, all of which have a lasting influence on his music.
He has won several national and international awards, including the 36th Suntory Music Award (2004) and has been commissioned by many overseas music festivals.
Nishimura was the judge at the 2007 Toru Takemitsu composition award.
- Asters (premiered February 2019)
- Mantra of the Light, for female choir and orchestra
- Tokyo College of Music: professor (composition)
- "Akira Nishimura's Asters: A Major New Japanese Opera". Opera Today. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Zen-On Contemporary Composers - Akira Nishimura – Biography, works and discography
- A Nishimura Profile
- Toru Takemitsu Composition Award homepage