Air Rescue Wing (JASDF)
The Air Rescue Wing (航空救難団 (koukuukyuunandan)) is a wing of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force. Responsible for airborne search and rescue, it is headquartered at Iruma Air Base in Saitama Prefecture and controls squadrons and detachments across Japan. The helicopter airlift squadrons were previously under the authority of Air Support Command. It is equipped with CH-47J, UH-60J and U-125A aircraft.
|Air Rescue Wing|
Insignia of theAir Rescue Wing
|Active||July 15, 1961|
|Branch||Japan Air Self-Defense Force|
|Garrison/HQ||Iruma Air Base|
|Motto(s)||That others may live|
|CH-47J, UH-60J, U-125A|
From 2009 the Air Rescue Wing began training in air-to-air refueling with US forces, and from 2010 two of the JASDF's 401st Tactical Airlift Squadron C-130H aircraft were given air-to-air refueling equipment, allowing them to refuel UH-60J helicopters. In June 2017 UH-60JA aircraft of the wing practiced night air-to-air refueling with US forces.
On October 17, 2017 a JASDF UH-60J of the Hamamatsu Detachment of the Air Rescue Wing crashed into the sea off Shizuoka Prefecture while conducting night rescue drills. Wreckage was found but the four crew members were not located.
- Air Rescue Squadron (UH-60J, U-125A)
- Air Rescue Wing Chitose Detachment (Chitose Air Base)
- Air Rescue Wing Matsushima Detachment (Matsushima Air Base)
- Air Rescue Wing Ashiya Detachment (Ashiya Air Base)
- Air Rescue Wing Akita Detachment (Akita Airport)
- Air Rescue Wing Hyakuri Detachment (Hyakuri Air Base)
- Air Rescue Wing Nyutabaru Detachment (Nyutabaru Air Base)
- Air Rescue Wing Niigata Detachment (Niigata Airport)
- Air Rescue Wing Hamamatsu Detachment (Hamamatsu Air Base)
- Air Rescue Wing Naha Detachment (Naha Air Base)
- Air Rescue Wing Komatsu Detachment (Komatsu Air Base)
- Air Rescue Wing Komaki Detachment (Training squadron) (Komaki Air Base)
- Squadrons (CH-47J)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Air Rescue Wing (JASDF).|
- "Air Rescue Wing History". mod.go.jp. Retrieved October 28, 2017. (in Japanese)
- Thompson, Paul JASDF - Order of Battle July 1, 2017 J-HangarSpace Retrieved October 24, 2017
- "Air Rescue Wing". mod.go.jp. Retrieved October 24, 2017. (in Japanese)
- Perez, Angelique (April 2, 2009). "33RQS helicopter pilots give air refueling training to JASDF". kadena.af.mil. Retrieved November 10, 2017.
- "US Air Force Joins Japan Air Self-Defense Force in Nighttime Helicopter Air-to-Air Refueling Exercise". fightersweep.com. June 29, 2017. Retrieved November 10, 2017.
- LaGrone, Sam (May 28, 2018). "Okinawa F-15 Crashes, Pilot Safe". news.usni.org. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Roth, Betty (May 28, 2013). "US Air Force Pilot Survives F-15 Crash Off Okinaw". Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- "Officials release report on F-15 accident near Kadena AB". af.mil. January 22, 2014. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Takahashi, Kosuke (October 18, 2017). "Four JASDF personnel missing following UH-60J helo crash off coast of Shizuoka Prefecture". janes.com. Jane's Information Group. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- "Helmets found in waters off Shizuoka Prefecture where ASDF chopper with four aboard apparently crashed". Japan Times. October 18, 2017. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- Tan, Michelle (June 11, 2018). "Kadena Air Base F-15 crashes off Okinawa". Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- Rogoway, Tyler (June 10, 2018). "A USAF F-15C Eagle Crashed Off Okinawa, Pilot Rescued Alive After Ejection". thedrive.com. The Drive. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
|This article about the military of Japan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|