Air Force Space and Missile Museum
The Air Force Space and Missile Museum is located at Launch Complex 26 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. It includes artifacts from the early American space program and includes an outdoor rocket garden displaying rockets, missiles and space-related equipment chronicling the US Air Force.
|Location||Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Brevard County, near Cape Canaveral, Florida (main center)|
100 Space Port Way
Port Canaveral, Brevard County (History Center)
|Type||Exhibits of missiles, rockets & early space related equipment & activities|
The museum is accessible to the public as a part of the "Cape Canaveral Early Space Tour" offered by the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex four days per week. Free tours were also offered by the Air Force 45th Space Wing Community Relations office until June 2013.
The Sands Space and Missile History Center, a companion to the museum, is open to the general public six days a week. The History Center is located just outside the south gate of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
Sands Space History CenterEdit
The Sands Space History Center (formerly known as the United States Air Force Space and Missile History Center) is an extension of the Air Force Space and Missile Museum outside the gate 1 of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station which opened to the public August 14, 2010. It is located in a 3,200-square-foot (300 m2) facility and highlights the progress and history of the space program. The museum features displays which chronicle the story of each of the launch pads from its establishment in 1949 as the Joint Long Range Proving Ground. Exhibits contain artifacts dating back to the 1950s and include parts to launch vehicles and control systems.
Unlike the Air Force Space and Missile Museum, its sister museum which is located inside gates of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, the center does not require special arrangements or a fee-based tour to visit. Admission is free and it is open to the public six days per week. As of 2017, it is open 9AM-2PM Tuesday through Friday, 9AM-5PM Saturday, and noon-4PM Sunday.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Air Force Space & Missile Museum.|
- Florida Today. The Fact Book: Your Guide to Brevard County (Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today, February 28, 2004), p. 118.
- "Visit the Museum" Air Force Space and Missile Museum Retrieved March 23, 2011
- Brevard Business News. Air Force's Missile History Center opens, showcases many exhibits (Melbourne, Florida: Brevard Business News, September 06, 2010), p. 4.
- "Space museum is 'go' for launch for Cape Canaveral AFS | floridatoday.com". Florida Today. Archived from the original on 16 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Space & Missile History Center To Open At Cape Canaveral". Florida Today. 1950-07-24. Archived from the original on 20 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- Official website
- Museum outside base at gate 1
- Air Force Space & Missile Museum Factsheet. Official factsheet prepared by the U.S. Air Force.
- Fan sites