In 1979, together with He Dong, Ma Desheng, Wang Keping, Huang Rui, Li Shuang, Qu Leilei and Ai Weiwei, Ah Cheng founded the Stars Group (XingXing), an assembly of untrained, experimental artists who challenged the strict tenets of Chinese politics. As a political and artistic group, they staged exhibitions around Beijing, making way for avant-garde art in China.
- Yue Yue (1986)
- Hibiscus Town (Furong zhen, 1986)
- Painted Skin (Hua pi zhi yinyang fawang, 1993)
- Springtime in a Small Town (Xiao cheng zhi chun, 2002)
- The Go Master (Wu qingyuan, 2006)
- The Assassin (Ci ke nie yin niang, 2015)
- Qi wang, (The Chess Master)
- Hai zi wang, (The King of Children)
- Shu wang, (The King of Trees")
- Kong fen, (Unfilled Graves)
- The King of Trees A Collection of his three novels Qi wang (The King of Chess) Shu wang (King of Trees) Hai zi wang (King of Children) published by New Directions Publishing in 2010.
- Three Kings: Three Stories from Today's China (trans. by Bonnie McDougall), published 1990 by Collins-Harvill (London).
- Open Library entry, accessed 28 December 2010.