Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
H. Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono, MSc, M.P.A., M.A. (born in Bandung, West Java, 10 August 1978) or more familiarly called AHY is the Executive Director of The Yudhoyono Institute (TYI) and founder of the AHY Foundation. Previously, he worked as military officer in the TNI for 16 years. AHY became the best graduate of the Military Academy in 2000 and won the Indonesian President award; Adi Makayasa.
Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono
|Chairman of the Democratic Party|
|Assumed office |
15 March 2020
|Preceded by||Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono|
|Born||10 August 1978|
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia
|Political party||Partai Demokrat|
|Relations||Edhie Baskoro Yudhoyono (Brother)|
|Children||Almira Tunggadewi Yudhoyono|
|Parents||Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (Father)|
Kristiani Herawati (Mother, died in 2019)
|Alma mater||Indonesian Military Academy|
S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (MSc)
Harvard University (MPA)
Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation
United States Army Command and General Staff College
Webster University (MA)
|Awards||Adhi Makayasa – Tri Sakti Wiratama 2000|
|Years of service||2000–2016|
While serving in the Indonesian Army, AHY joined the security operations in Aceh in 2002 and UN peace operations in Lebanon in 2006. He also co-founded the Indonesian Defense University. In 2015, AHY led one of the Capital's security units, as Commander of 203 / Arya Kamuning Mechanical Infantry Battalion, under Brigif 1 / PIK, Kodam Jaya.
In 2016, AHY was appointed by the Democratic Party, the National Awakening Party (PKB), the United Development Party (PPP), and the National Mandate Party (PAN) to become Jakarta Governor Candidates. Since then, he has been active in politics under Democratic Party and was given the task of Commanding the Joint Task Command (Kogasma) to win Indonesia's 2019 General Election. On early 2019 he targeted to achieve 15 percent of national vote, but later he revised the target to achieve 10 percent of national vote.
As a Harvard University graduate in Public administration, he also gave awareness on social and educational issues, under the banner of the AHY Foundation and The Yudhoyono Institute. He toured the archipelago to help victims of natural disasters, organized blood donor and hold nature conservation activities. AHY is also an active speaker at the national and international forums, as well as expressing his thoughts in writing, published in various media in the country and abroad.
AHY married to Annisa Larasati Pohan in 2005. Their first daughter, Almira Tunggadewi Yudhoyono, was born on 17 August 2008.
Born in Bandung on 10 August 1978, AHY is the first son of the 6th President of the Republic of Indonesia, General of the Armed Forces, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and Kristiani Herrawati, also known as Ani Yudhoyono. AHY has one younger brother, Edhie Baskoro Yudhoyono who was born in 1980. AHY is also the grandson of Lt. Gen. (ret.) Sarwo Edhie Wibowo (1925–1989), who was the father of his mother, Ani Yudhoyono.
During his childhood, AHY moved and lived in numbers of places across the country, following his father's duties and education as a TNI officer, starting from Bandung, East Timor, Jakarta, and the United States.
AHY spent his childhood in East Timor when his father took up military service there. From 1984 to 1988, AHY then studied at Kuntum Wijaya Kusuma Elementary School, Pasar Rebo, East Jakarta. From 1988 to 1991, AHY followed his father to continue his education in the United States, attending David J. Brewer School, Leavenworth, Kansas.
In 1991, AHY continued his study at SMPN 5 Bandung. Following the transfer of his father's assignment, in 1994, AHY moved to SMPN 20 East Jakarta.
After completing his Junior High School education, AHY continued his education at Taruna Nusantara High School, Magelang in 1994. During his high school time, AHY was an active and outstanding student, he had served as Chairman of the Taruna Nusantara High School Student Council. In 1997, AHY won the Garuda Trisakti Tarunatama Emas, an award for the best graduate.
AHY is a Military Academy (AKMIL) Magelang graduate. During his first and second years at the Military Academy, he won the Tri Sakti Wiratama award given for collective achievements in academic, physical and personal personality. This achievement led AHY to be chosen as Commander of the Youth Corps Regiment in 1999. There, he also joined the Drum band Canka Lokananta Military Academy as a bass drummer, (who is often referred to as "Tidar Tiger"). AHY then passed AKMIL with the best graduate and awarded Bintang Adi Makayasa in December 2000.
During his assignment in the military as an officer, AHY also undertook formal higher education. AHY has three Masters education degrees: Master of Science in Strategic Studies at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore in 2006, Master in Public Administration from Harvard University, United States in 2010, and Master of Arts in Leadership and Management from Webster University in the United States, won the title of summa cum laude in 2015 with the GPA of 4.0.
Military Service and AssignmentEdit
Yudhoyono served the Indonesian National Army, following the footsteps of his grandfather Sarwo Edhie Wibowo and his father SBY, he carried out a variety of assignments and missions, starting from the platoon commander in the Operations section to the company commander in the elite unit of the 305 Kostrad Airborne Infantry Battalion.
After graduating from AKMIL, AHY attended the Infantry Branching School and the Intel Combat Course in 2001. He later joined the Army Strategic Reserves Command (Kostrad). In 2002, AHY who was a Brigadier of 17 Kostrad, assigned as a platoon commander in the 305th Airborne Infantry Battalion / Tengkorak. That time, he was sent to Aceh for a risky task in the Security Restoration Operation. In Aceh, AHY was chosen as the Commander of the Special Team.
After leading the special forces in Operation Security Restoration in Aceh, in November 2006, AHY assumed the task of serving as a Garuda XXIII-A contingent operations section officer in maintaining peace along the Israeli and Southern Lebanese borders, when Israel and Hezbollah were involved in 2006 Lebanon War. This contingent is the first Indonesian contingent sent for a UN peace mission in Lebanon (UNIFIL). During his assignment, AHY initiated the smart car program as a means of reducing the impact of the trauma of war on children. For this initiative, AHY was awarded the Army Service Distinction Medal from the leadership of the Lebanese Armed Forces. As field experience gained, AHY was promoted as company commander (Danki) at Infantry Battalion 305 / Tengkorak in 2007 and was selected as the best Danki in the Kostrad 1 Infantry Division in 2008. In the same year, AHY attended the Indonesian Navy Scuba Divers course in the Thousand Islands. AHY received an award as the best Company Commander in the Kostrad 1 Infantry Division, at the Joint Training of the Yudha Siaga TNI in Sangata.
Later that year, AHY was asked for his contribution by Minister of Defense, Prof. Dr. Juwono Sudarsono, to join the initiation of the Indonesian Defense University.
AHY then continued his military education at the US Army Maneuver Captain Career Course at Fort Benning, United States in 2011 and became the best graduate. He also won the Order of Saint Maurice medal from the National Infantry Association.
Returning to Indonesia, he served as the Head of Operations Section (Kasiops) at the 17 Kujang 1 Kostang Cross-air Infantry Brigade. In 2013, he was assigned as a Post-Graduate Lecturer, in the Defense Management program, the Indonesian Defense University.
In 2015, AHY returned to US to join another military academy, and later won the title summa cum laude from the US Army Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Until early 2016, AHY was assigned as the commander of 203 Arya Kamuning Mechanical Infantry Battalion, one of the elite security forces of the Jakarta.
On 10 August 2017, AHY founded The Yudhoyono Institute, a think tank based on three pillars: Liberty, Prosperity, Security. As Executive Director, AHY initiated various programs to welcome and prepare the Indonesian golden generation, the target of which was achieved in 100 years of Indonesian Independence, in 2045. Through TYI, AHY often holds various activities such as: Roundtable Discussion to discuss various challenges and issues facing the Indonesian people and the world with experts and statesmen; People's Dialogue is carried out to absorb the aspirations of people in various regions from various circles; and public lectures on campuses and educational institutions throughout the archipelago, from Banda Aceh to Jayapura. He continuously shares inspiration, knowledge and experience with academics, students and youths.
Together with The Yudhoyono Institute, AHY also formed the AHY Foundation, which focuses on social and humanitarian issues, especially health, education and the environment as well as disaster response. AHY Foundation is active in providing assistance to disaster victims such as in Palu, Lombok, Gunung Agung Bali, Pacitan floods and Gunung Kidul, Yogyakarta. In addition, through the AHY Foundation, he also initiated blood donor programs, tree and coral reef planting programs in various regions in Indonesia.
2017 Jakarta gubernatorial electionEdit
AHY began his political career as a candidate for DKI Jakarta governor in the 2017 Jakarta gubernatorial election. With the support of a coalition formed by 4 political parties: the Democratic Party, the National Awakening Party (PKB), the United Development Party (PPP), and the National Mandate Party (PAN). In his very first election, he was paired with an experienced local bureaucrat, Syliviana Murni.
The Agus-Sylvi challenged the incumbent Basuki Tjahja Purnama-Djarot Saiful Hidayat (Ahok-Djarot) and Anies Baswedan-Sandiaga Uno (Anies-Sandi). Agus-Sylvi gets sequence number 1, Ahok-Djarot gets sequence number 2, and Anies-Sandi gets sequence number 3. AHY was defeated on the election, getting 17.02% of the votes.
2019 General ElectionEdit
On 17 February 2018, Democratic Party Chairperson Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (SBY) confirmed AHY as Commander of the Joint Task Force (Kogasma) for the 2018 Head of Region Election (Pemilukada) and 2019 General Election.
He became a Democratic Party campaigner and he consolidated cadres in the region to win candidates nominated by the Democratic Party in the 2018 General Election. The Democratic Party succeeded in achieving the initial target of 35 percent from 171 elections.
In the 2019 elections, the Presidential Elections (Pilpres) and Legislative Elections (Pileg) were held simultaneously. At the 2019 Presidential Election, the Democratic Party formed a coalition with the political party supporting Prabowo-Sandi. In the 2019 Pileg, the Democratic Party is targeting 15 percent of the total number of seats in the Indonesian Parliament.
AHY as Commander of Kogasma led the efforts to bring victory for the Democratic Party. In the 2019 legislative election, the Democratic Party in various surveys is predicted to only be able to win less than 5 percent of the vote. Under his leadership the Democratic Party was able to win 10,876,507 votes (7.77 percent), exceeding the predictions of various surveys, though this still fail to achieve the party target of 10 percent.
Post-2019 General ElectionEdit
For his achievements, in October 2019 AHY was appointed as Deputy Chairman of the Democratic Party. AHY is expected to be able to bring the Democratic Party towards better and progressive change. AHY was elected as the leader of the Democratic Party on 15 March 2020, replacing his father.
On 8 July 2005, AHY married Annisa Larasati Pohan, former radio announcer who had been the cover girl (Gadis Sampul) of 1997. Annisa Pohan is the daughter of former Indonesian Bank (BI) Deputy governor, Aulia Pohan. When married, AHY was an officer with the rank of First lieutenant, at that time he was 27 years old, and Annisa was 24 years old. Annisa is also a Co-founder of Tunggadewi Foundation.
At their wedding, they used Javanese customs which were laden with military nuance by carrying out the Pora Sword tradition. Their wedding reception was held at Bogor Presidential Palace and attended by 2,000 invited guests. Their first daughter, Almira Tunggadewi Yudhoyono, was born on 17 August 2008. "Aira" was born only a few hours before her grandad, SBY, presided over the commemoration ceremony of the 63rd Indonesian Independence Day at the Presidential Palace.
List of honors and awards received by AHYEdit
- 2017 RMOL Democracy Award, Rakyat Merdeka Online.
- 2017 JCI Ten Outstanding Young Persons (TOYP), Junior Chamber International.
- 2014 Satya Lencana Wira Karya, President of the Republic of Indonesia.
- 2013 Honorary member of the 707th Special Mission Battalion, Republic of Korea Army Special Warfare Command.
- 2012 Nanyang Outstanding Young Alumni Award, Nanyang Technological University.
- 2011 The Order of Saint Maurice, Chief of the US Army Infantry.
- 2011 Pioneering Medal of the Republic of Indonesia, President of the Republic of Indonesia.
- 2007 Army Service Distinction Medal, Commander of the Lebanese Armed Forces.
- 2007 UN Peacekeeping Distinction Medal, Commander of the UNIFIL.
- 2000 Bintang Adi Makayasa, President of the Republic of Indonesia.
- 2000 Sword of Trisakti Wiratama, Military Academy.
- 1997 Bintang Garuda Trisakti Tarunatama Emas, Taruna Nusantara High School.
- First Officer of the Infantry Armament Center (2000)
- First Officer of the Army's Strategic Branch Command (2001)
- First Officer Infantry Division 1 / Kostrad (2002)
- Platoon III / C Commander of the 305th Airborne Infantry Battalion / Tengkorak (2002)
- Platoon II / C Commander of 305th Airborne Infantry Battalion / Tengkorak (2003)
- Head of Section 2 / Operations of the 305th Airborne Infantry Battalion / Skull (2004)
- Company Commander Rifle C Airborne 305 Infantry Battalion C / Company Skull (2005)
- Head of Operations Section of the Garuda XXIII-A Mechanical Contingent Infantry Battalion (2006)
- First Officer of Indonesian National Army Headquarters (2008)
- Assistant Section Chief of the American Section of the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Indonesia (2008)
- First Officer of the Directorate General of Strategic and Defense Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Indonesia (2009)
- Intermediate Officer Indonesian National Army Headquarters / Student Advanced Course Officer (United States) (2010)
- Head of Section 2 / Operation of the 17th Airborne Infantry Brigade / Kujang I Kostrad (2011)
- Middle Officer Indonesian National Army Headquarters (2013)
- Head of Domestic Cooperation Sub Division of Indonesian Defense University (2014)
- Detachment Middle Officer Army Headquarters (School Education Staff and Command LN) (2014)
- Commander of the 203rd Mechanical Infantry Battalion / Arya Kemuning (2015)
- The Yudhoyono Institute's Executive Director (2017)
- Commander of the Democratic Party Kogasma (2018)
- Deputy Chair of the Democratic Party (2019)
- 2019 Simultaneous Elections 2019 and the Challenges of Our Democracy, Strategy Magazine V edition.
- 2019 Celebrating Democracy Without Polarization, Jawa Pos Daily.
- 2018 Energi Muda Nusantara, Strategy Magazine edition IV.
- 2018 Sacrifice and Nationality, Republika Daily
- 2018 Restores the Youth Oath Spirit, Republika Daily.
- 2017 Planting Hope from Grassroots, Strategy Magazine III edition.
- 2017 Realizing Indonesia Gold 2045, Strategy Magazine edition I.
- 2017 Reflections on Pancasila in the 21st Century, Harian Rakyat Merdeka National Daily.
- 2017 Islam Knitting Brotherhood, Republika National Daily.
- 2017 Test for Democracy and Our Nationality, Kompas National Daily.
- 2017 Jakarta for All, Sindo National Daily.
- 2017 Jakarta for the People, Expose, Mizan. 2016 TNI and 21st Century Defense Diplomacy, Patriot Magazine.
- 2015 In the Hands of the Young Generation, Indonesia Succeeds in 2045, Indonesia Future Society (IFS) Newsletter Vol. 01
- 2015 Optimizing the Role of Dansat in Enhancing the Professionalism of Soldiers, as well as Developing Effective Combat Doctrines in Order to Win Future Battles, Yudhagama Journal.
- 2014 4000 Peacekeepers: Choice or Inevitability ?, Jawa Pos Newspaper.
- 2013 'Freedom or Death' Is Not Enough : Common Interests vs Joint Enemies, National Journal Newspaper.
- 2013 Young Generation Welcomes Indonesia 2045, Koran Media Indonesia.
- 2013 The Future of Warfare: Challenges Show TNI Needs Adaptive Leaders, The Jakarta Globe.
- 2013 Future Challenges of the TNI, Kompas Newspaper.
- 2013 Indonesia & Korea: 40 Years of Friendship & Beyond, Young Future Leaders Forum – Seoul, South Korea.
- 2013 2045: Path to Nation's Golden Age, The Jakarta Globe. 2013 Responding to the Challenges of the 21st Century, Apple Commander of the Armed Forces Army.
- 2012 Preparing the Doctrine of Fighting in the Era of "Warm Peace", Jurnal Yudhagama, Vol. 32 No.4.
- 2012 Realizing New Security Challenges and Sharing Responsibility, The Jakarta Post.
- 2012 Looking at the Future of the TNI, Kompas Newspaper.
- 2011 The Indonesian Defense University: Transforming the Indonesian Military and Creating a Better Public Awareness on the Significance of the National Security and Defense Sectors, ASEAN Regional Forum – Heads of Defense / Universities / Colleges / Institutions Meeting / ARF-HDUCIM.
- 2010 Unlikely Routes: Stronger Militaries by Transforming Military Education, Harvard Law School National Security Journal.
- 2008 Winning The Hearts and Minds: Lessons Learned From The Indonesian Peacekeeping Mission in Lebanon, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Retaduari, Elza Astari. "AHY akan Launching The Yudhoyono Institute, Apa Sih?". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Daya Beli Menurun Alasan AHY Foundation Gelar Pasar Murah". Republika Online. 14 June 2018. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Lumbanrau, Raja Eben. "Agus Yudhoyono, Peraih Adhi Makayasa dan IPK 4". nasional (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Maulana (29 March 2016). "UNHAN Utus Agus Yudhoyono dalam Konferensi NMUN di New York". Waspada Online (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Retaduari, Elza Astari. "Mayor Agus Yudhoyono Jadi Danyonif, Pangdam Jaya: Dia Perwira Potensial". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Sutrisno, Elvan Dany. "Asal Usul Nama Agus Yudhoyono Jadi Calon Gubernur DKI". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Media, Kompas Cyber. "SBY Kukuhkan Agus Yudhoyono Sebagai Kogasma Demokrat untuk Pilpres 2019". KOMPAS.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Kejar Target 15 Persen, AHY Minta Caleg Partai Demokrat Bekerja Lebih Keras". Tribunnews.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- Dariyanto, Erwin. "Pakai Strategi Rel Ganda, AHY Revisi Target Suara Demokrat". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- Media, Kompas Cyber. "AHY Jabat Wakil Ketua Umum Partai Demokrat". KOMPAS.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Mawardi, Isal. "Dipilih Secara Aklamasi, AHY Resmi Jadi Ketum Partai Demokrat 2020-2025". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- "Ternyata Sekolah Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono Sama dengan Prabowo, Lulusan Terbaik Fort Benning". Tribun Jambi (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Nama-nama Peraih Adhi Makayasa Akmil, Lulusan Terbaik Akademi Militer di Magelang". Tribun Jateng (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Kusumadewi, Anggi. "Putra Sulung SBY Raih Dua Gelar di AS dengan IPK 4". nasional (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Agus Yudhoyono Raih 3 Penghargaan dari Sekolah AD Fort Benning AS". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 11 December 2020.
- Okezone (4 March 2017). "Ini Hasil Pilgub DKI Putaran Pertama : Okezone Megapolitan". Okezone.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- Media, Kompas Cyber. "SBY Kukuhkan Agus Yudhoyono Sebagai Kogasma Demokrat untuk Pilpres 2019". KOMPAS.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Medistiara, Yulida (16 March 2020). "'Dinasti' Partai Demokrat dari SBY ke AHY". detiknews (in Indonesian). Retrieved 15 December 2020.
- "Super Sempurna, Foto Pernikahan Agus - Annisa Pohan 10 Tahun Lalu". KapanLagi.com (in Indonesian). 10 August 2015. Retrieved 13 January 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Annisa Pohan-Agus Yudhoyono Menikah
- "Cucu Pertama SBY Saat Lahir Enam Tahun Lalu Dibanding Wajah Terkini". Tribunnews.com (in Indonesian). 19 August 2014. Retrieved 13 January 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Agus Yudhoyono". facebook.com. Retrieved 23 January 2020.[non-primary source needed]
- Dewi, Maria Umma. "Selamat, 10 Pemuda Indonesia Ini Menerima Penghargaan Junior Chamber International". Good News From Indonesia (in Indonesian). Retrieved 23 January 2020.