The style relies on the use of rock string instruments (electric guitars and electric bass) and guitar effects like wah wah pedal. Songs are based around a rock chordal structure and progression with a horn section, and keyed instruments such as electric piano, organ, and clavinet. The rhythmic elements of the music are drums and bass, but other characteristically African and Afro-Cuban elements are the percussion instruments including congas, bongos, claves, whistles and other Latin percussion. Late 1960s, Super Eagles and Psychedelic Aliens were roots of afro rock. Osibisa and Assagai were founded in England.
- Lafayette Afro Rock Band wah pedal Retrieved 10 March 2021
- "Darkest Light: The Best of the Lafayette Afro Rock Band / a RootsWorld review of World Music". www.rootsworld.com. Retrieved 2021-03-14.
- Percussion Info. Percussion Info Retrieved 11 March 2021
- Percussion Instruments Retrieved 11 March 2021
- Gahana rock band Super Eagles Retrieved 11 March 2021
- The Official OSIBISA Website -https://www.osibisa.co.uk
- band with Remi Kabaka, Abdul Lasisi Amao and guest Steve Winwood
- Afro Indie 8-piece band with Dayo Ayodele, Todd Dunnigan, Cathima Kodet, Jacob Fredrickson, Elvice Mwenematale, Ben Wieland, James Lancaster, Misty Dawn Taylor based in Boise, Idaho.