Afonso, Prince of Beira
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (August 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dom Afonso de Santa Maria, Prince of Beira (born 25 March 1996) is a Portuguese prince and eldest son of Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza, Head of the Portuguese Royal Family. As heir to his father, Afonso is styled as Prince of Beira and Duke of Barcelos and is first in the line of succession to the former Portuguese throne.
|Prince of Beira (more...)|
|Born||25 March 1996|
|Father||Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza|
|Mother||Isabel, Duchess of Braganza|
Afonso de Santa Maria Miguel Gabriel Rafael was born in Lisbon, the eldest child of Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza, and Dª. Isabel Inês Castro Curvello de Herédia. His full name ends with Miguel Gabriel Rafael, a naming tradition of the House of Braganza that honors the three archangels in the Catholic Church.
His godparents are Princess Helene of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and his maternal uncle, Afonso Miguel de Herédia.
Immediately after his baptism at the Sé Cathedral of Braga, the young prince was consecrated in nearby Guimarães to Nossa Senhora da Oliveira, (Our Lady of the Olive Tree), where his ancestor John I (founder of the House of Aviz), along with his illegitimate son Afonso, Duke of Braganza (founder of the House of Braganza), had been to thank her for his victory at the battle of Aljubarrota, in 1385, against his niece Queen Beatrice of Portugal and her husband John I of Castile.
Afonso is first in the line of succession to the Portuguese Crown, as heir to his father, the Duke of Braganza.
In August 2018 Afonso joined as an intern in the Social and Pre-Hospitalar Emergency Department, the Voluntary Fire Brigade of Lisbon, following in the foot steps of Afonso, Duke of Porto, who was Honorary Commander of the same brigade. The decision to join the fire brigade came after discussing Portugal's summer fires with his family and friends.
In recognition of his family's connections to Timor, Afonso was made an honorary Liurai in September 2014, when he and his family visited the country to attend the second Senate session of the Liurais Association, which represents the descendants of the island's tribal kings.
Titles, styles and honoursEdit
|Royal styles of|
The Prince of Beira
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Titles and stylesEdit
- 25 March 1996 – present: His Royal Highness Dom Afonso de Santa Maria, Prince of Beira, Duke of Barcelos
As heir to his father, Afonso is holds the style of royal highness and has been titled Prince of Beira and Duke of Barcelos since birth, as titles held by the heir apparent to the heir apparent of the Portuguese throne.
- Foreign orders
- Knight Grand Cross of Honour and Devotion (Sovereign Military Order of Malta)
- Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre (Holy See)
- Dynastic orders
- Knight Grand Cross of Justice of the Castroan-Two Sicilian Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George (Castroan Royal Family of Two Sicilies)
- Knight Grand Cordon of the Imperial Order of Saint Alexander Nevsky (House of Romanov)
|Ancestors of Afonso, Prince of Beira|
- "L'infant du Portugal est né", Point de Vue (3 au 10 avril, 1996): 9.
- "Le Portugal baptise l'héritier de la couronne", Point de Vue (5 au 11 juin, 1996): 12–15.
- Ferreira, Marta Leite. "D. Afonso de Bragança está a estagiar num quartel, mas para já não pode combater fogos". Observador (in Portuguese). Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Afonso, filho dos duques de Bragança, investido 'liurai' numa visita a Timor". Caras. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "ORDEM DE MALTA: Dom Duarte de Bragança consagra filho Dom Afonso a Nossa Senhora da Lapa". ORDEM DE MALTA. 27 September 2015. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- Menezes, Maria. "Família Real Portuguesa: DEZANOVE ANOS DE CASAMENTO DOS DUQUES DE BRAGANÇA". Retrieved 4 August 2018.
Afonso, Prince of Beira
Cadet branch of the House of AvizBorn: 25 March 1996
|Titles in pretence|
| Prince of Beira
Duke of Barcelos
25 March 1996