Affilia: Journal of Women and Social Work is a quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal that covers social work practice(s) and feminist analysis of gender inequality. The editors-in-chief are Yoosun Park (Smith College School for Social Work), Stéphanie Wahab (Portland State University), and Rupaleem Bhuyan (University of Toronto). The journal was established in 1986 and is published by SAGE Publications. The founding editor was Beatrice Saunders.
|Edited by||Yoosun Park, Stéphanie Wahab, Rupaleem Bhuyan|
Abstracting and indexingEdit
Affilia is abstracted and indexed in Scopus and the Social Sciences Citation Index. According to Journal Citation Reports, its 2017 impact factor is 0.833, ranking it 24th out of 42 journals in the category "Women's Studies", and 29th out of 42 journals in the category "Social Work."
In October 2018 it was revealed the journal had accepted for publication a hoax article entitled “Our Struggle Is My Struggle: Solidarity Feminism as an Intersectional Reply to Neoliberal and Choice Feminism.” The paper included rewritten sections of Mein Kampf as part of its content. The last two-thirds of this paper is based upon a rewriting of Chapter 12 of ‘Mein Kampf,’ by Adolf Hitler. Authors partially reproduced the part, in which Hitler describes why the Nazi party is needed and what it requires of its members. Changes included replacement of references to national-socialism with feminism and Jews with privilege. The submission of the paper was an attempt to show the lack of rigor surrounding so-called "grievance studies" in academia by demonstrating that absurdities and morally fashionable political ideas could get published as legitimate academic research in the field.
- "SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research". journals.sagepub.com. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Jillian Kay Melchior (2018-10-02). "Fake news comes to academia". The Wall Street Journal. United States. Archived from the original on 2018-10-05. Retrieved 2018-10-05.
- Schuessler, Jennifer (October 4, 2018). "Hoaxers Slip Breastaurants and Dog-Park Sex Into Journals". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 2018-10-10. Retrieved 2018-10-11.
- "Duped academic journal publishes rewrite of 'Mein Kampf' as feminist manifesto". www.timesofisrael.com. Retrieved 2018-10-08.
- "Scholars' Rewrite of 'Mein Kampf' as Feminist Screed Accepted by Academic Journal for Publication". www.theepochtimes.com. Retrieved 2018-10-08.