Aelay is a 2021 Indian Tamil-language comedy-drama television film written and directed by Halitha Shameem, and produced by S. Sashikanth and Ramachandra of YNOT Studios while creative produced by Pushkar–Gayathri of Wallwatcher Films. Co-produced by Reliance Entertainment, The film stars Samuthirakani and Manikandan, and has music composed by Kaber Vasuki and Aruldev, with cinematography handled by Theni Eswar and editing done by Shameem and Raymond Derrick Crasta respectively.
|Written by||Halitha Shameem|
|Directed by||Halitha Shameem|
|Music by||Original Songs:|
|Country of origin||India|
|Editors||Raymond Derrick Crasta|
|Production companies||YNOT Studios|
The film was scheduled for theatrical release on 12 February 2021, but the producers later opted for a direct television premiere through Star Vijay on 28 February 2021 and internationally on Netflix on 5 March 2021.
An unexpected life event forces a young man to reconsider the past and his opinions about his father, who was an ice-cream seller.
On May 2019, YNOT Studios announced their collaboration with director duo Pushkar-Gayathri's newly launched production studio Wallwatcher Films, for Halitha Shameem's new project titled as Aelay. Both the directors also joined the film's team as the creative director, with Shameem revealed that she had written the script nine years back, and was waiting for the right producer. She earlier worked as an assistant to Pushkar and Gayathri, whom agreed to produce the film after her narration. The film is touted to be a neo-realistic comedy set in rural areas, with the relationship dynamics between a father and son at its core. Shameem decided to rope in Samuthirakani and Manikandan, whom were a part of the director's Sillu Karuppatti (2019), essaying the roles of father and son, whereas the rest of the cast were non-actors from the village of Manjunayakanpatti in Dindigul district.
|Soundtrack album by |
Kaber Vasuki, Aruldev
|Released||1 February 2021|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The film songs are composed by Kaber Vasuki and Aruldev. The original Background score is composed by Aruldev, as he earlier worked with Halitha Shameem in her debut film Poovarasam Peepee (2014). The soundtrack album features six songs with lyrics written by Kaber Vasuki, Halitha Shameem, M. K. Kadal Vendhan and K. Chitrasenan. The album was released by Sony Music on 1 February 2021.
|2.||"Ettuthikkum Oorum"||M. K. Kadal Vendhan||Aruldev||M. K. Kadal Vendhan||2:02|
|3.||"Kooduvittu"||K. Chitrasenan||Aruldev||K. Chitrasenan||1:57|
|4.||"Magaraasa"||Kaber Vasuki||Kaber Vasuki||Kaber Vasuki||2:10|
|5.||"Muthukutti Settai"||Halitha Shameem||Kaber Vasuki||Alexander Babu||2:45|
|6.||"Seevanukke"||Halitha Shameem||Kaber Vasuki||Yogi Sekar, Roja Adithya||3:55|
The film was initially scheduled for a theatrical release on September 2019, but was postponed due to the post-production delays and COVID-19 pandemic. The official trailer of the film was released on the occasion of Republic Day, 26 January 2021 and the film's release date of 12 February 2021 was announced.
However, a day before the scheduled release, the makers withdrawn the plans for theatrical release and was further announced that the film will be aired directly through Star Vijay on 28 February 2021. It was revealed that the theatre owners and distributors issued a red card against the film's production house YNOT Studios, over the digital release of Dhanush's Jagame Thandhiram (2021), and stated that the distributors will not screen any of the upcoming films belonging to the production company. Also the exhibitors demand of an OTT premiere only after 30-days of its theatrical run was one of the decision that the makers went straight ahead for a television premiere.
Sify called the film "a breezy feel-good drama", adding "it makes you smile in several places but it falls short due to the overstretched second half and climax.". A reviewer from The Hindu noted "director Halitha Shameem’s latest offering lacks pace but the performances and characterisation make up for it."
- "Samuthirakani's 'Aelay' to have a direct television premiere". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "Pushkar-Gayatri to team up with director Halitha". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "Samuthirakani :Halithaa Shameem first script was 'Aelay'". Sify. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "First look of director Halitha's neo-realistic comedy Aelay out". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- Subramanian, Anupama (3 May 2019). "Aelay is a neo-realistic comedy". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "Samuthirakani's 'Aelay' shooting wrapped up – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- Aelay (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) – All Songs – Download or Listen Free – JioSaavn, retrieved 13 February 2021
- "Halitha Shameem's Aelay: Makers to reveal the most awaited film's trailer; See post". PINKVILLA. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "Halitha Shameem's 'Aelay' skips theatrical release, to have television premier". The News Minute. 13 February 2021. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "Aelay to release directly on OTT? Here's what we know". www.moviecrow.com. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- Ramanujam, Srinivasa (26 February 2021). "'Aelay' film review: A well-crafted rural film on a problematic father son relationship". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 1 March 2021.