Adult Beginners is a 2014 American comedy drama film directed by Ross Katz and written by Jeff Cox and Liz Flahire based on a story by Nick Kroll. The film stars Rose Byrne, Kroll, Bobby Cannavale, and Joel McHale.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ross Katz|
|Produced by||Jared Ian Goldman
|Screenplay by||Jeff Cox
|Story by||Nick Kroll|
|Music by||Marcelo Zarvos|
|Edited by||Paul Frank|
RADiUS-TWC acquired the North American distribution rights of the film during its premiere at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival. The film was released in a limited release in theatres and VOD on April 24, 2015.
- Rose Byrne as Justine
- Nick Kroll as Jake
- Bobby Cannavale as Danny
- Joel McHale as Hudson
- Caleb and Matthew Paddock as Teddy
- Paula Garcés as Blanca
- Jane Krakowski as Miss Jenn
- Jason Mantzoukas as Herman
- Bobby Moynihan as Paul
- Josh Charles as Phil
- Neil Casey as Neil
- Mike Birbiglia as Braden
- Caitlin FitzGerald as Kat
On November 1, 2013, it was announced that Nick Kroll, Rose Byrne, and Bobby Cannavale were attached to star in Brother's Keeper - the original title which later changed to Adult Beginners. On December 10, 2013, Caitlin FitzGerald has been cast as Kat, Jake's girlfriend "who dumps him after his tech startup fails and he moves back to his family home."
Adult Beginners had its premiere at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival on September 8, 2014. It was released on April 24, 2015 in a limited release in and through VOD on April 24, 2015 in the United States.
During its opening weekend, Adult Beginners debuted with a total of $36,657 across 10 theatres. As of September 24, 2015, the film has grossed $104,808 in North America.
Adult Beginners received generally mixed reviews from critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a 47% approval rating based on reviews from 74 critics, with the critical consensus reading, "Perfectly pleasant yet never particularly engaging, Adult Beginners is a mild middle-of-the-road comedy content to coast on the charms of its talented cast." Metacritic gives the film a score of 57 out of 100 based on reviews from 26 critics.
Adult Beginners gained a fairly positive response at the Toronto International Film Festival, with Nikola Grozdanovic of Indiewire giving it a B+ grade, saying "it’s not perfect, but as far as feature debuts go, there’s very little you can fault Adult Beginners for. Slightly pedantic and maudlin at times, with telegraphed metaphors and some rushed pacing, it’s still hard to call any of these hiccups major flaws. Katz, with the help of an inspired cast and an emotionally intelligent and mature screenplay, has succeeded in depicting the trials and tribulations of adults who, all for respectfully different yet equally weighty reasons, often make a three-year-old the most mature person in the room." He also praised the supporting roles of McHale, Krawkowski, and particularly Moynihan. Phil Brown of Collider gave the film a B- grade calling it "cute". "It’s a very heartfelt, sweet, funny, moving and deliberately small movie that does exactly what it’s supposed to do and then rolks [sic] credits before wearing out it’s [sic] welcome. [...] It’s a little wisp of a comedy with enough warm sentiments and observations about eccentrically neurotic adults to slip in a little emotional sting."
Justin Chang of Variety said of the film that "it’s the sort of casual hangout vibe that feels so lived-in, it’s a shame when the film begins to devolve into the sort of rigged reconciliations and easy epiphanies it had largely avoided, up to a point. [...] Still, those imperfections are forgivable, even fitting, for a modest, well-assembled charmer that represents a welcome branching out for most of the key talents involved." Furthermore, at the South by Southwest Film Festival, Michael Roffman of Consequence of Sound said "you don’t need to rush out and see Adult Beginners. However, it’s an ideal Netflix viewing in the near future, when the winter shifts into something awful and the afternoon begs for a little couching."
- Kerri Craddock. "Adult Beginngers". Toronto International Film Festival. Archived from the original on April 15, 2015. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Mark Shanahan and Meredith Goldstein (September 14, 2014). "Boston producers make deal in Toronto for 'Adult Beginners'". Boston Globe. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Justin Chang (September 23, 2014). "Film Review: 'Adult Beginners'". Variety. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- "Film Tax Credit – Quarterly Report" (PDF). Empire State Development. March 31, 2016. Retrieved July 23, 2017.
- "Adult Beginners". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- Jenny Nulf (March 25, 2015). "Adults Beginners Interview with Nick Kroll & Bobby Cannavale". gotchamovies.com. Archived from the original on March 29, 2015. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Borys Kit (November 1, 2013). "Nick Kroll, Rose Byrne, Bobby Cannavale to Star in Indie Comedy 'Brother's Keeper' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- The Deadline Team (December 10, 2013). "Colm Feore Joins 'Painkillers'; Caitlin FitzGerald Cast in 'Brother's Keeper'". Deadline.com. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- Jeanne Muchnick (April 7, 2015). "New Rochelle Home Gets Fifteen Minutes Of Fame In 'Adult Beginners' Movie". newrochelle.dailyvoice.com. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Marni Dixit (March 14, 2015). "Third time's a charm! Rose Byrne and her beau Bobby Cannavale work together again playing husband and wife in the film comedy Adult Beginners". Daily Mail. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Film Festivals and Indie Films (April 14, 2015). "Adult Beginners Movie CLIP - Make Me Jealous (2015) - Nick Kroll, Bobby Cannavale Comedy HD". YouTube. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- "Adult Beginners". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Adult Beginners". Metacritic. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Nikola Grozdanovic (September 9, 2014). "TIFF Review: 'Adult Beginners' Starring Nick Kroll, Rose Byrne & Bobby Cannavale". Indiewire. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- Phil Brown (September 12, 2014). "ADULT BEGINNERS Review TIFF 2014". Collider.com. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- Michael Roffman (March 19, 2015). "SXSW Film Review: Adult Beginners". consequenceofsound.net. Retrieved April 14, 2015.