Adderley Park railway station
Adderley Park railway station serves the Adderley Park area in the east of Birmingham, England. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by West Midlands Railway. It was threatened with closure in 2004, but has now been given a reprieve (although its train service was reduced from half-hourly to hourly each way). The station will become the main railway station for the proposed City of Birmingham Stadium, if that is constructed.
|Managed by||West Midlands Railway|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|PTE||Transport for West Midlands|
|Key dates||Opened 1 August 1860|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Adderley Park from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
It lies on Bordesley Green Road, part of the B4145.
Opened by the London and North Western Railway it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
When Sectorisation was introduced, the station was served by Regional Railways on behalf of the West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive, for whom British Rail had been running the trains since the PTE's inception. Services on the Intercity Sector would frequently pass through on the West Coast Main Line as these services, run by the current operator, continue to do.
Adderley Park is generally served by one train per hour in each direction. Trains generally run southbound to Birmingham International and northbound to Liverpool Lime Street. Additional peak services to/from Coventry, Rugby, Northampton, Milton Keynes and London call here, but most of these pass through without stopping.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Stechford||West Midlands Railway
|Birmingham New Street|
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Station on navigable O.S. map
- Train times and station information for Adderley Park railway station from National Rail
- Photographs of Adderley Park station at warwickshirerailways.com
- Rail Around Birmingham and the West Midlands: Adderley Park Station