Adams Township, Hillsdale County, Michigan
Adams Township, Michigan
|• Total||36.1 sq mi (93.4 km2)|
|• Land||35.7 sq mi (92.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,145 ft (349 m)|
|• Density||69.9/sq mi (27.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625800|
- The village of North Adams is within the township and the North Adams ZIP code 49262 also serves an area of northeast Adams Township.
- The unincorporated community of Jerome is to the northeast, although the Jerome ZIP code 49249 also serves a small area in the northern part of Adams Township.
- The village of Jonesville is to the northwest, although the Jonesville ZIP code 49250 also serves an area in northwest Adams Township.
- The city of Hillsdale is to the west, although the Hillsdale ZIP code 49242 also serves an area in central Adams Township.
- The unincorporated community of Osseo is to the south, although the Osseo ZIP code 49266 also serves an area in southern Adams Township.
Adams Township, named for pioneer settler Henry P. Adams, was set off from Moscow Township in 1836, with Salmon Sharp as its first supervisor. Sharp became the first postmaster on May 4, 1837. The post office was discontinued on February 28, 1857, having been superseded by the larger village that had developed in North Adams.>
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.1 square miles (93 km2), of which 35.7 square miles (92 km2) is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) (1.00%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,498 people, 941 households, and 706 families residing in the township. The population density was 69.9 per square mile (27.0/km²). There were 1,036 housing units at an average density of 29.0 per square mile (11.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.44% White, 0.52% African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 0.12% from other races, and 0.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.28% of the population.
There were 941 households out of which 32.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.7% were married couples living together, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.9% were non-families. 19.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 25.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 105.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $42,708, and the median income for a family was $45,739. Males had a median income of $32,481 versus $24,509 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,821. About 2.2% of families and 5.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.4% of those under age 18 and 7.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Adams Township, Hillsdale County, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books. Detroit: Wayne State University Press. p. 10. ISBN 978-0814318386.
- 49262 5-Digit ZCTA, 492 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49249 5-Digit ZCTA, 492 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49250 5-Digit ZCTA, 492 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49242 5-Digit ZCTA, 492 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49266 5-Digit ZCTA, 492 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Adams Post Office (historical)