Adam Jacob Szubin (//) is an American lawyer and former government official. Szubin served as the Acting Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence and the Acting Secretary of the Treasury of the United States. He served as the acting secretary from January to February 2017 after the resignation of Treasury Secretary Jack Lew and Deputy Treasury Secretary Sarah Bloom Raskin during the 2017 presidential transition. He previously served as the Director of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
|Acting United States Secretary of the Treasury|
January 20, 2017 – February 13, 2017
|Preceded by||Jack Lew|
|Succeeded by||Steven Mnuchin|
|Acting Under Secretary of the Treasury for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence|
April 16, 2015 – February 13, 2017
|Preceded by||David Cohen|
|Succeeded by||Sigal Mandelker|
|Born||1972/1973 (age 46–47)|
Teaneck, New Jersey
|Education||Harvard University (BA, JD)|
He is currently a Distinguished Practitioner-in-Residence at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) of the Johns Hopkins University and a lawyer in private practice at Sullivan & Cromwell in D.C.
Szubin lives with his wife, Miriam, and three children, in Washington, DC.
Joining the Treasury in 2004, Szubin served in the Bush administration as the Senior Advisor to the Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence. From 2006 to 2015, Szubin served as the Director of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. On April 16, 2015, President Obama nominated him as Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Crimes. In 2016, the Senate Banking Committee approved his nomination but he was never confirmed by the full Senate. Still unconfirmed, President Trump asked him to stay on in his post as Under Secretary. He became the Acting Secretary of the Treasury of the United States on January 20, 2017 after the resignation of Treasury Secretary Jack Lew and Deputy Treasury Secretary Sarah Bloom Raskin. After the confirmation of Steven Mnuchin as Secretary of the Treasury, Szubin left government service.
- WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS; Miriam Weiner, Adam Szubin
- Palmer, Joanne. "Who was that with Cory Booker? Adam Szubin, Iran deal defender, on loving Israel and growing up in Teaneck", Jewish Standard, October 15, 2015. Accessed January 28, 2017. "Mr. Szubin (the initial S in his name is irrationally silent, so when it's said aloud it begins with the Z) is Teaneck born and bred; he went to Yavneh Academy until high school, when he commuted across the river to Ramaz, the modern Orthodox day school on Manhattan’s Upper East Side."
- "Statement by Adam J. Szubin, Nominee for Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Crimes, Before the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, And Urban Affairs". U.S. Department of the Treasury.
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts". White House.
- "Obama Treasury official Senate GOP refused to confirm is among those Trump asked to stay on". Politico.
- "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Statement from a Treasury Spokesperson:". U.S. Department of the Treasury.
| United States Secretary of the Treasury