Adam Rich (born October 12, 1968) is an American actor noted for his role as Nicholas Bradford, the youngest son on the television series Eight Is Enough, which ran for five seasons (1977–1981). A distinctive feature of his appearance during his years as a child actor was his pageboy haircut, which inspired thousands of parents of that era to imitate the look for their young sons. His role on the show led him to be known as "America's little brother."
Growing up as a child actor, Rich lived in Granada Hills, California, with his parents and younger brother. He was active in sports, including baseball, football, bicycle riding, skateboarding, and swimming. He also had an interest in drawing. At age 14, he tried smoking marijuana, and at 17, in 1986, he dropped out of high school. He almost died of a Valium overdose in 1989. In 1991 he was arrested and charged with attempted burglary of a pharmacy.
As of 2013, he occasionally makes personal appearances and is marketing script ideas for TV shows and films.
Rich made guest appearances on television series including The Love Boat, CHiPs, Fantasy Island, The Six Million Dollar Man, St. Elsewhere and Baywatch. He also did voice work on the cartoon series Dungeons & Dragons, along with Eight Is Enough co-star Willie Aames.
|1976||The Six Million Dollar Man||Bob||Episode: "A Bionic Christmas Carol"|
|1977||The City||Donnie Collins||Television film|
|1977–81||Eight Is Enough||Nicholas Bradford||Main cast (112 episodes)|
|1978||Fantasy Island||Herbie Block||Episode: "Instant Family"|
|1979||The Love Boat||Brian Phillips||Episode: "Oldies But Goodies"|
|1979||CHiPs||Himself||Episode: "Roller Disco: Part 2"|
|1979||Tukiki and His Search for a Merry Christmas||Tukiki (voice)||Television special|
|1980||3-2-1 Contact||Nicholas Bradford||Episode: "Crowded/Uncrowded: Human Crowding"|
|1981||The Devil and Max Devlin||Toby Hart||Feature film|
|1981–82||Code Red||Danny Blake||Main cast (13 episodes)|
|1982||CBS Children's Mystery Theatre||Jeffrey Brenner||Episode: "The Zertigo Diamond Caper"|
|1982||Fantasy Island||Huck Finn||Episode: "Natchez Bound"|
|1982||CHiPs||Louis Hindall||Episode: "Fallout"|
|1983||Gun Shy||Clovis||Episodes: "Reading, Writing and Robbing", "Mail Order Mommy"|
|1983–85||Dungeons & Dragons||Presto, the Magician||Voice role (27 episodes)|
|1986||St. Elsewhere||Louis Appleton||Episode: "Family Affair"|
|1986||Small Wonder||Peter Watson||Episode: "Chewed Out"|
|1986||Silver Spoons||Scott||Episode: "Rick Moves Out"|
|1987||Eight Is Enough: A Family Reunion||Nicholas Bradford||Television film|
|1988||Small Wonder||The Beast||Episode: "The Gang's All Here"|
|1989||An Eight Is Enough Wedding||Nicholas Bradford||Television film|
|1993||Baywatch||Ethan||Episode: "Sky Rider"|
|2003||Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star||Himself (cameo)||Feature film|
- "Meet Adam Rich of Eight Is Enough". Daily Record. Ellensburg, Washington. United Press International. September 23, 1978. Retrieved June 23, 2012.
- ""Eight Is Enough" cast: Where are they now, 30 years later?". Fox News. January 15, 2013. Retrieved May 4, 2013. FOXNews.com, Jan 15, 2013. Quote: "Playing the youngest of the Bradford clan, Adam Rich was America's little brother. In the late '70s and early '80s, thousands of boys sported a Nicholas-style haircut."
- "Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow". National Enquirer. New York City: American Media, Inc. 88 (19): 43. May 13, 2013. ISSN 1056-3482.
- Eggers, Dave (April 26, 2000). "Diary of a Media Hoax: The Death of Adam Rich". AlterNet. Retrieved February 28, 2012.
- Gliatto, Tom (August 26, 1991). "The Heartbreak Kid". People. Retrieved February 28, 2012.
former Eight Is Enough child star Adam Rich, now 22 ... won the part of Nicholas when he was 9
- Brand, Sam (March 1, 2010). "Adam Rich Skips 'Eight Is Enough' TV Reunion". PopEater.com. Retrieved February 28, 2012.
Rich was 9 years old when 'Eight Is Enough's' first of five seasons premiered
- Betty Crocker Snackin' Cake commercial from 1977
- Wheatsworth crackers commercial from 1982