Adam Gregory Plutko (born October 3, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Cleveland Indians of Major League Baseball (MLB). He attended the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), where he played college baseball for the UCLA Bruins.
|Cleveland Indians – No. 45|
|Born: October 3, 1991|
|September 24, 2016, for the Cleveland Indians|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 21, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.97|
Plutko attended Glendora High School in Glendora, California, and then enrolled at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Though he was selected by the Houston Astros in the sixth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft, he opted not to sign with the Astros.
At UCLA, Plutko was a member of the UCLA Bruins baseball team. In 2013, Plutko led the Bruins to their first NCAA Championship in baseball by beating Mississippi State in the 2013 College World Series. During the World Series, he recorded wins against Louisiana State in the opening round of the World Series and in Game 1 of the Championship Series against Mississippi State. He was named the College World Series Most Outstanding Player.
The Cleveland Indians selected Plutko in the 11th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball draft. He signed with the Indians, but did not pitch for their Minor League Baseball affiliates that year due to a stress fracture in his shoulder. Plutko made his professional debut in 2014 with the Lake County Captains of the Class A Midwest League. In May, the Indians promoted Plutko to the Carolina Mudcats of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League. In 28 games started between the two teams he compiled a 7–10 record and 4.03 ERA. He began the 2015 season with the Lynchburg Hillcats of the Carolina League, and was promoted to the Akron RubberDucks of the Class AA Eastern League in May. Plutko posted a 13–7 record, a 2.39 ERA, and a 0.93 WHIP in 27 starts between the two clubs.
On September 20, 2016, the Indians purchased Plutko's contract from the Clippers and added him to their active roster. In 28 starts for Akron and Columbus prior to his call up, he pitched to a 9–8 record and 3.73 ERA. He made his major league debut on September 24 as a relief pitcher.
Plutko spent all of 2017 with Columbus, going 7–12 with a 5.90 ERA in 24 games (22 starts). He began 2018 with Columbus, and was recalled on May 3 for one game. He was optioned back to Columbus the day after. He was recalled once again on May 23 to take over as the fifth starter for Cleveland after Josh Tomlin was moved to the bullpen. He was sent back to Columbus, and threw a no-hitter on June 2.
- Gastelum, Andrew (June 24, 2013). "UCLA's Adam Plutko hopes to ride game-day routine to victory at College World Series". LA Times. Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- Levine, Zachary (August 5, 2010). "Astros sign first-round pick DeShields — Houston Chronicle". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- Olson, Eric (June 26, 2013). "UCLA wins first College World Series with 8-0 win over Mississippi State". NorthJersey.com. Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- "Cleveland proud of its performance in 2013 Draft | indians.com: News". MLB.com. June 8, 2013. Retrieved November 3, 2013.
- Fox Sports. "A year after the draft, Plutko enjoying success with Indians - FOX Sports". FOX Sports. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Adam Plutko gets first pro win; Clint Frazier excels on defense: Cleveland Indians Class A Insider". cleveland.com. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Mudcats pitcher Adam Plutko mows them down: Cleveland Indians Advanced Class A Insider". cleveland.com. Retrieved September 18, 2014.
- "Cleveland Indians' No. 19 prospect Adam Plutko earned first 2015 win with six shutout innings for Lynchburg Hillcats - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- Spencer Davies. "Adam Plutko is newest addition to the Akron RubberDucks". www.ohio.com. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- Hoynes, Paul (January 26, 2016). "Cleveland Indians invite Adam Plutko, Eric Stamets, Will Roberts, Todd Hankins to spring training". cleveland.com. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "Cleveland Indians' No. 14 prospect Adam Plutko makes quick strides with Columbus Clippers". MiLB.com. June 28, 2016. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- Network, FanRag Sports. "Indians Call Up Adam Plutko, Designate T.J. House For Assignment". Today's Knuckleball. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "Cleveland Indians Adam Plutko makes his major-league debut, wife snags foul ball". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "Adam Plutko Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 23, 2018.
- Hoynes, Paul (May 22, 2018). "A spot in the Cleveland Indians' starting rotation opens for Adam Plutko". Cleveland.com.