Action Jackson (2014 film)
Action Jackson is a 2014 Indian Hindi-language action thriller film directed by Prabhu Deva and produced by Gordhan Tanwani and Sunil Lulla and music by Himesh Reshammiya Harris Jayaraj and background score by Sandeep Chowta. The film features Ajay Devgn in a double role, alongside Sonakshi Sinha, Yami Gautam and Manasvi Mamgai, while Kunaal Roy Kapur appears in a supporting role and Anandaraj playing the main antagonist. Prabhu Deva and Ajay Devgn have paired for the first time with this film. Action Jackson released on 5 December 2014.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Prabhu Deva|
|Produced by||Gordhan Tanwani|
|Screenplay by||Prabhu Deva|
A. C. Mugil
|Story by||A. C. Mugil|
Kunaal Roy Kapur
Harris Jayaraj Background score:
|Edited by||Bunty Nagi|
|Distributed by||Eros International|
|Box office||₹88 crore |
Vishi is a small-time crook who would do anything for money. He falls in love with Khushi, a simple HR executive, who then begins a relationship with him. One day, Vishi, who frequently gets involved in fights, publicly beats up a street gangster, who later seeks a revenge attack with his gang. The gangster and his gang brutally beat up Vishi, and easily escape the scene. It is then revealed that the person they had beaten is actually Vishi's lookalike, Jai. The goons escape when they hear the siren, and Vishi is found alive on a bike, then the same goons get beaten brutally by Vishi. Khushi tries to explain to Vishi that she loves him, he understands and they both start falling in love. On another occasion, a police inspector arrests Jai and hands him over to a group of gangsters led by Pedro. Jai single-handedly kills them all and is revealed to be a professional assassin and previous right-hand man of underworld criminal Xavier Fonseca, nicknamed AJ. After AJ single-handedly rescued Xavier's sister Marina from a bunch of kidnappers, Marina falls for Jai but he rejects her as he is been married to Anusha.
Angered, Xavier tries to kill Anusha twice to get AJ married to Marina, which leaves her brutally injured. Jai then escapes to India and is in the process of getting her treated. When Vishi spots Jai, he reveals his identity and story to Vishi. Jai then asks Vishi to go to Bangkok disguised as AJ to fool Xavier and his sister; meanwhile, AJ makes time to get his wife operated on, as she is expecting a baby. Vishi agrees to help and goes to Bangkok along with his friend Musa. Meanwhile, Inspector Shirke finds AJ's lookalike and tries to inform Xavier but is murdered. The style of murder triggers suspicion to Xavier. Marina tortures Musa to know the truth. He reveals that Vishi is the one who masqueraded as AJ. Xavier hatches a plan to bring AJ to Bangkok by kidnapping his wife, baby, and lookalike and threatens to kill all three of them. It is revealed up to that Vishi is actually in Mumbai and AJ and himself switched their places in the airport at a time after the job is done. AJ reaches the spot and kills all of Xavier's henchmen. In a fight with Marina, AJ smashes her against the furnace and Marina is burned alive. After killing Xavier, he runs away with Anusha and the child. Later it was revealed to be safe who was rescued by one of a man (Razzak Khan) of Xavier. The film ends with AJ and Vishi meeting at airport and Anusha requests Vishi to marry Khushi soon.
- Ajay Devgn in a dual role as Vishi, a small-time crook and as Jai aka AJ, a local goon who is Vishi’s lookalike and Xavier’s right-hand-man.
- Sonakshi Sinha as Khushi, Vishi's love interest
- Yami Gautam as Anusha, Jai aka AJ's wife
- Kunaal Roy Kapur as Musa
- Manasvi Mamgai as Marina
- Anandaraj as Xavier
- Razzak Khan as Xavier's henchman
- Arti Puri as Khushi's Friend
- Nataša Stanković as Natasha
- Ankita Bhargava as Khushi's Friend
- Puru Raaj Kumar as Inspector Shirke
- Shawar Ali as Nawab (cameo)
- Rocky Verma as Riya's father in New Zealand
- Ketan Karande as Pedro
- Sulabha Arya as Vishi's neighbour
- Nalneesh Neel as Panwala
- Rajesh Khattar as Special appearance
- Prabhas in a guest appearance in the song "Punjabi Mast"
- Shahid Kapoor special appearance in the song "Punjabi Mast"
- Prabhu Deva special appearance in the song "AJ Theme"
Prarthna Sarkar from International Business Times gave Action Jackson 4 star out of 5, stating it is a "splendid dream" for viewers. Gayatri Sarkar from Zee News gave 3.5 star out of 5, stating that the film succeeded to entertain the audience. Deepanjana Paul from Firstpost praised the film for its brilliant direction, editing and story. Film critic Rajeev Masand rated the film 3 out of 5, feeling that the film has excessive action. Under a headline calling the film a feminist milestone, Raja Sen for Rediff rated it 3/5 saying that while the film is filled with "relentless absurdity", the women propel the narrative in a refreshing way. Rachit Gupta from Filmfare gave a similar rating of 3/5, stating that the genre mixing of unscripted comedy and stylized action is " too inconsistent to garner any appreciation". Mumbai Mirror similarly rated it 3/5 and responded positively.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||10 November 2014|
|Genre||Feature Film Soundtrack|
Harris Jayaraj chronology
The soundtrack was composed by Himesh Reshammiya, while the lyrics were written by Shabbir Ahmed and Sameer while one song of tamil film Vaaranam Aayiram Adiye kolluthe which was composed by Harris Jayaraj was reused for song Gangster Baby.
|1.||"Dhoom Dhaam"||Sameer||Himesh Reshammiya||Ankit Tiwari, Palak Muchhal||4:38|
|2.||"Punjabi Mast"||Sameer||Himesh Reshammiya||Ankit Tiwari, Neeti Mohan, Arya Acharya, Alamgir Khan, Vineet Singh||4:14|
|3.||"Gangster Baby"||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya, Harris Jayaraj||Neeraj Shridhar, Neeti Mohan||4:40|
|4.||"Chichora Piya"||Sameer||Himesh Reshammiya||Shalmali Kholgade, Himesh Reshammiya||4:27|
|5.||"Keeda"||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya||Himesh Reshammiya, Neeti Mohan||3:06|
|6.||"Keeda" (remix)||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya||Himesh Reshammiya, Neeti Mohan||3:00|
|7.||"Punjabi Mast" (remix)||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya||Himesh Reshammiya, Ankit Tiwari, Neeti Mohan, Arya Acharya, Alamgir Khan, Vineet Singh||3:53|
|8.||"Chichora Piya" (remix)||Sameer||Himesh Reshammiya||Himesh Reshammiya, Shalmali Kholgade||4:08|
|9.||"Keeda" (reprise)||Shabbir Ahmed||Himesh Reshammiya||Himesh Reshammiya, Neeti Mohan||3:06|
- "Action Jackson - Movie - Box Office India". Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "ACTION JACKSON (15)". British Board of Film Classification.
- 'Action Jackson' Movie Review: It' a Good, Good Dream. International Business Times. Prarthna Sarkar. 5 December 2014.
- ‘Action Jackson’ review: Succeds to entertain. 7 December 2014.
- Action Jackson review: Watching this Ajay Devgn starrer is like entertaining yourself. Firstpost. Deepanjana Paul. 7 December 2014.
- 'Action Jackson' review: The film is an orgy of bloody fight scenes.IBN live. Rajeev Masand. 5 December 2014.
- Review: Action Jackson is a milestone in feminist cinema – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (5 December 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-21.
- Movie Review: Action Jackson. Filmfare.com (5 December 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-21.
- Film review: Action Jackson. Mumbai Mirror (5 December 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-21.