Acting President of Pakistan
The Acting President of Pakistan (Urdu: قائم مقام صدر پاکستان) is a temporary post provided for by the Constitution of Pakistan. In the case where a president's term of office is terminated early or during the absence of the president, the Chairman of the Senate assumes the office, as per the line of succession to the President of Pakistan. The Speaker of the National Assembly is second in the line of succession.
Fazlul Qadir Chaudhry acted as president periodically during his tenure as Speaker of the National Assembly, whenever Ayub Khan was out of the country. In addition, two acting presidents have been in office in recent history for short periods of time: Wasim Sajjad and Muhammad Mian Soomro. Sajjad served as acting president on two non-consecutive occasions in 1993 and 1997–98 respectively.
|CML||Convention Muslim League|
|PML (N)||Pakistan Muslim League (N)|
|PML (Q)||Pakistan Muslim League (Q)|
|Took office||Left office||Political party
|1||Mohammad Afzal Cheema
|11 June 1962||29 November 1963||Senior Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly 1962-1965|
|2||Fazlul Qadir Chaudhry
|29 November 1963||12 June 1965||Convention Muslim League||CML||Speaker of the National Assembly, served as acting president intermittently in the president's official absence.|||
|3||Sheikh Anwarul Haq
|20 April 1978||7 May 1978||Independent||IND||Chief Justice of Pakistan, served as acting president in the absence of Zia-ul-Haq abroad.|||
|4||Ghulam Ishaq Khan
|17 August 1988||12 December 1988||Independent||IND||Chairman of the Senate, served as acting President until the 1988 general election, following which he became elected president.|||
|18 July 1993||14 November 1993||Pakistan Muslim League (N)||PML (N)||Chairman of the Senate, remained acting president for two times.|||
|2 December 1997||1 January 1998|
|6||Muhammad Mian Soomro
|18 August 2008||9 September 2008||Pakistan Muslim League (Q)||PML (Q)||Chairman of the Senate, served as acting president.|||
- "Constitution of Pakistan of 1956" (pdf). National Assembly of Pakistan. 25 April 2010. Retrieved 16 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Constitution of 1973". Story of Pakistan. 1 June 2003. Retrieved 17 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Parliamentary Debates: Official Report. National Assembly of Pakistan. 1 August 1973. p. 7.
Mr. Fazlul Qadir Choudhry upheld the finest traditions of his office and conducted the proceedings of the Assembly with great sagacity and firm adherence to the rules of procedure of the Assembly. He also acted for a short while as President of Pakistan.
- "Profile of Mr. Wasim Sajjad". Story of Pakistan. 1 June 2003. Retrieved 16 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The Concept. Raja Afsar Khan. 1995. p. 4.
Mr. Justice Sheikh Anwarul Huq while serving as Chief Justice of the Pakistan Supreme Court officiated as President of Pakistan in the absence abroad of President General Mohammad Zia-ul-Huq in 1981. As Acting President of Pakistan he performed the launching ceremony of the monthly Concept in December, 1981.
- US Govt. "President Ghulam Ishaq Khan as Power Broker". US Govt. Retrieved 20 October 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Soomro takes over as Pak President". Press Trust of India. 18 August 2008. Retrieved 16 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[permanent dead link]