A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Achilleas (Αχιλλέας Καϊμακλίου) is a Cypriot basketball club founded in 1943, nowadays running basketball, volleyball and table tennis divisions. It has been a part of the community in the suburb of Kaimakli in Nicosia. The club is named after Achilles (Ἀχιλλεύς) a legendary figure of the Greek mythology.
|Leagues||Cyprus Basketball Division B|
|History||1943 – present|
|Arena||Gymnasium Palouriotissas (1000)|
|Team colors||blue and white|
|Head coach||Takis Mirallais (men's head coach);|
|Championships||5 Cypriot Championships|
7 Cypriot Cups
The Men's basketball division was one of the founding clubs of the Cyprus Basketball Federation. In terms of trophies Achilleas has won the Cyprus Basketball League five times, making it the 3rd most successful team on the island to date behind EKA AEL and APOEL. Through their domestic successes they have represented the island in several European competitions such as the Korać Cup (in 1999 and 2001), the Saporta Cup in 2000 and the Euroleague (historically The European Champions Cup). Several of Achilleas' players have been selected for the men's Cyprus national basketball team.
The Women's basketball division competes in the Cyprus Women's Basketball League – First division. It has also represented Cyprus in European competitions.
Home games are played at the indoor Pallouriotisa Arena which only has a capacity for about 1,000 fans. The proximity of fans to the playing field has given it a reputation as an intimidating and tough home ground for away teams.
|Achilleas Kaimakliou Roster|
- Cyprus Basketball Division 1
- Winner (5): 1974–75, 1976–77, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1992–93
- Runner Up (6): 1986–87, 1988–89, 1989–90, 1991–92, 1996–97, 1998–99
- Cyprus Men's Basketball Cup:
- Winner (7): 1973–74, 1974–75, 1975–76, 1976–77, 1987–88, 1989–90, 1999–2000
- Runner-up (4): 1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 2009–10
- Cyprus Men's Basketball Supercup
- Winner (4): 1990, 1992, 1993, 1996
- Cyprus Basketball Women's League – Division 1
- Winner (1): 1986–87
- Runner Up (1): 2000–01, 2009–10
- Cyprus Women's Basketball Cup:
- Winner (1): 2006–07
- Runner-up (4): 1999–00, 2000–01, 2001–02, 2008–09
- "Achileeas European participation". FIBA Europe. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "FIBA Europe Ronchetti Cup: 2001 teams". FIBA Europe. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "History of the Cyprus Volleyball federation". CVF. Archived from the original on 16 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "Second division standings 2006-7". CVF. Archived from the original on 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2007-02-16.