Absar Alam is a Pakistani senior journalist. He also served as the 5th Chairman of Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA).
|5th chairperson of Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority|
October 2015 – December 2017
|Preceded by||Kamaluddin Tipu (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Muhammad Saleem Baig|
He was appointed chairman of PEMRA in October 2015, and served until his removal by the courts in December 2017.
In April 2020, Absar Alam was shot while walking in a park near his home allegedly by someone who did not like him criticizing the Pakistani military. He was hospitalized to treat his injuries and successfully recovered from his injuries.
- ^ a b "Absar Alam booked for inciting against Army, plea for trial under article 6 (using translated title version here from Urdu to English)". BBC News website. 11 September 2020. Retrieved 10 November 2021.
- ^ a b "Senior journalist Absar Alam shot, injured in Islamabad". Dawn (newspaper). 20 April 2021. Retrieved 10 November 2021.
- ^ a b Salman Masood (20 April 2021). "Pakistani Journalist Is Shot After Criticizing the Military". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 November 2021.
- ^ Absar Alam appointed as PEMRA chairman Pakistan Press Foundation website, Published 26 October 2015, Retrieved 11 November 2021
- ^ Absar Alam:The watchman Dawn Group of Newspapers (Herald magazine), Published 19 June 2017, Retrieved 10 November 2021
- ^ Idrees Sheikh and Javed Hussain (18 December 2017). "Absar Alam steps down as Pemra chairman after LHC declares his appointment illegal". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 11 November 2021.