Abid Hamid Mahmud
Lieutenant General Abid Al-Hamid Mahmud al-Tikriti (/
Abdul Hamid Mahmud Al-Tikriti
عبد الحميد محمود التكريتي
|Personal Secretary to the President|
|Appointed by||Saddam Hussein|
|Director of the Iraqi Special Security Organization|
|Preceded by||Fannar Zibin Al Hasan|
|Succeeded by||Nawfal Mahjoom Al-Tikriti|
|Died||7 June 2012 (aged 55)|
|Cause of death||Execution by hanging|
|Political party||Ba'ath Party|
|Years of service||1980–2003|
2003 Iraq War
Mahmud began his military career as a non-commissioned officer in the Iraqi Army. He rose through the ranks to Lieutenant General, becoming part of Saddam Hussein's personal bodyguard, and finally, his personal secretary.
A distant cousin of Saddam Hussein, observers regarded Mahmud as being Hussein's right-hand man. He always maintained constant contact with Hussein and acted as a gatekeeper, controlling access to him. He was trusted, with Saddam's son Qusay Hussein, in overseeing the Iraqi Special Security Organization.
He was captured in a joint raid by members of B squadron Delta Force and G Squadron SAS and the 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment of 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, in Tikrit on June 16, 2003. At the time it was recognized as the "greatest success" since the end of major hostilities, and a sign that Saddam Hussein might soon be found.
On April 29, 2008, he appeared before the Iraq Special Tribunal set up by the Iraq Interim Government and stood trial with six others including Tariq Aziz, Ali Hassan al-Majid, Watban Ibrahim al-Hassan and Sabbawi Ibrahim al-Hassan.
On October 26, 2010, he was sentenced to death by the Iraqi High Tribunal after being found guilty of organising a crackdown against banned political parties in Iraq in the 1980s and 1990s, including assassinations and unlawful detentions.
- "Lieutenant General Abid Hamid Mahmud al-Tikriti". June 18, 2003. Retrieved October 7, 2016.
- Urban, Mark, Task Force Black: The Explosive True Story of the Secret Special Forces War in Iraq , St. Martin's Griffin , 2012 ISBN 1250006961 ISBN 978-1250006967,p.17
- Harnden, Toby (2003-06-18). "Net closing on Saddam as top aide is captured". The Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
- Financial Times, "Aziz on trial over Iraqi killings role", 30 Apr 2008, p. 6
- Senior Saddam aide executed in Iraq, Financial Times, 8 June 2012
- "Iraq executes Saddam Hussein's aide Abid Hamid Mahmud". BBC News. 2012-06-07. Retrieved 2012-06-07.
- UN page with approximate year of birth
- "Lieutenant General Abid Hamid Mahmud al-Tikriti". World Military Guide :: Iraq :: Overview :: Leadership. GlobalSecurity.org. 2005-06-22. Archived from the original on 2 December 2005. Retrieved 2005-12-06.
- "Profile: Abid Hamid Mahmud al-Tikriti". BBC News. 2003-06-18.