Abia State University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Abia State University is one of the state owned universities in Nigeria. These state academic institutions were created to expand admissions and bring professional skills, expertise and modern research facilities close to the city and rural dwellers, and have helped talented students to obtain higher education.
|Motto||Excellence and Service|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Uchenna Eleazer Ikonne|
The inception of the university was in 1981 in the former Imo State under the name of Imo State University, Etiti. The university was established by Sam Mbakwe when he was Governor of old Imo State. The main campus was located at Etiti, Imo State, while the Law Department was located in a separate Campus at Aba. Between 1984 and 1985 under the military governorship of General Ike Nwachukwu, the university moved to its permanent site at Uturu Okigwe. Following the creation of Abia State in 1991, the Uturu campus of the University was ceded to Abia State, and is now known as Abia State University Uturu, Isuikwuato Local Government Area, Abia State, Nigeria. The university is organized in colleges and schools having been founded on the same collegiate system operated by University of Nebraska.
Abia State University offers undergraduate, graduate and doctorate degrees. It has two campuses- its main campus in Uturu; and the College of Law, College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine housed by the campus in Umuahia, Abia State capital.
The university offers more than 90 undergraduate and graduate programs across ten colleges.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
- College of Biological and Physical Sciences
- College of Business Administration
- College of Education
- College of Engineering and Environmental Studies
- College of Law
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences
- College of Optometry
- College of Postgraduate Studies
Centres, directorates and institutesEdit
- Centre For Entrepreneurial Education
- Student Affairs Department
- Counseling Centre
- Centre for Primary and Non-Formal Education
- General Studies
- Centre for Igbo Studies
- Academic Planning
- Sandwich Programme
- Centre for Remedial Studies
- University Examination Centre
- Business Resource Centre
- Institute for Distance Education (IDEA)
- Institute for Computer Studies
- Consultancies, Linkages & Revenue Mobilization
- Institute of Arts & Sciences
- Centre for Quality Assurance
- "Home - Abia State University Uturu". abiastateuniversity.edu.ng. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- ABSU website
- Abia State University: Association of Commonwealth Universities Listing
- National Universities Commission
|This article on a Nigerian institution of higher education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|