Aberbeeg railway station served the village of Aberbeeg in Monmouthshire, Wales. It was the junction where the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company's lines from Newport to Brynmawr and Ebbw Vale diverged.
|Location||Aberbeeg, Blaenau Gwent|
|Original company||Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|21 December 1850||Opened|
|30 April 1962||Closed to passengers|
|28 November 1966||Closed to goods traffic|
Opened by the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company on 21/23 December 1850, it became part of the Great Western Railway in 1880 and remained there at the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed on to the Western Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. The station was closed to passengers by the British Transport Commission on 30 April 1962, remaining open for goods traffic until 28 November 1966.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line open, station closed
|Great Western Railway
Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company
Line and station open
|Six Bells Halt
Line and station closed
The site todayEdit
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0049-7. OCLC 19514063. CN 8983.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Clinker, C.R. (1988) . Clinker's Register of Closed Passenger Stations and Goods Depots in England, Scotland and Wales 1830–1980 (2nd ed.). Bristol: Avon-Anglia Publications & Services. ISBN 978-0-905466-91-0. OCLC 655703233.
- Conolly, W. Philip (2004) . British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer. Hersham, Surrey: Ian Allan. ISBN 978-0-7110-0320-0.
- Quick, Michael (2009) . Railway passenger stations in Great Britain: a chronology (4th ed.). Oxford: Railway & Canal Historical Society. ISBN 978-0-901461-57-5. OCLC 612226077.
- Archive of Ebbw Valley Railway Scheme website (Blaenau Gwent council, 2008)
- Aberbeeg station on navigable O.S. map
- Remains of the station in 1989[permanent dead link]
- Remains of the station in 2002[permanent dead link]
- Train passing the site of the station in 2008[permanent dead link]