Abdikarim Ahmed Mooge Liibaan (Somali: Cabdikariin Axmed Mooge Liibaan) is a Somaliland politician and is the current Mayor of Hargeisa, the largest city and capital of Somaliland. He belongs to the Eidagale sub-division of the Garhajis Isaaq clan. He also has a son called Libaan aged 11 and he attends BIC also known as British International College. Liban has already finished primary school.
Abdikarim Ahmed Mooge
|Cabdikariin Axmed Mooge|
|Mayor of Hargeisa|
|Assumed office |
17 June 2021
|Preceded by||Abdurrahman Mahmoud Aidiid|
Abdikarim was born in 1974 in Sin-ujiif, a village in the outskirts of Garowe, Somalia. Abdikarim is the son of famous Somali artist Ahmed Mooge Liibaan and nephew of famous Somali artist Mohamed Mooge Liibaan. He grew up in Hargeisa, where he completed his primary and secondary education. At the outbreak of clashes in Hargeisa during the Somaliland War of Independence, Abdikarim fled to Ethiopia, specifically the Kaam-Abokor refugee camp.
Upon his return to Somaliland, he and several other youth founded the HAVAYOCO agency, with the goal of supporting vulnerable people and youth. He later worked for UN agencies and international organizations, where he moved abroad and spent some of his life, but later returned to Hargeisa.
Abdikarim is a member of the Waddani party, the largest opposition party in Somaliland. He succeeded the previous mayor Abdurrahman Mahmoud Aidiid as the mayor of Hargeisa after the 2021 Somaliland municipal elections, gaining the most votes out of all candidates in Hargeisa.
- Staff (2021-06-17). "Somaliland: AbdiKarim Ahmed Mooge Sworn in as the New Mayor of Hargeisa". SomalilandCurrent.com. Retrieved 2021-06-21.
- "History made in Somaliland as minority candidate, son of former singer scoop more votes". Garowe Online. Retrieved 2021-06-21.
- "Duqa cusub ee magaalada Hargeysa oo la doortay". VOA (in Somali). Retrieved 2021-06-21.
- "Maxaad Ka Taqaan Taariikhda Cabdikariin Mooge?". Sayruuq News. 2021-06-17. Retrieved 2022-01-28.
- "Wasiir ku xigeen isucalisay "la dagaalanka qabyaaladda"". BBC News Somali (in Somali). 2015-08-11. Retrieved 2022-01-28.
- "Waayaha ku xeeran rejada 'Maayarnimo' ee Cabdikariin Axmed Mooge". BBC News Somali (in Somali). Retrieved 2021-06-21.
- "Shan arrimood oo ku saabsan Cabdikariim Axmed Mooge". BBC News Somali (in Somali). Retrieved 2021-06-21.