Abdalqadir as-Sufi (born Ian Dallas in Ayr, Scotland in 1930) is a Shaykh of Instruction, leader of the Darqawi-Shadhili-Qadiri Tariqa, founder of the Murabitun World Movement and author of numerous books on Islam, Sufism and political theory. Born in Scotland, he was a playwright and actor before he converted to Islam in 1967 with the Imam of the Qarawiyyin Mosque in Fez, Morocco.
Abdalqadir as-Sufi in 2007
1930 (age 88–89)
|Occupation||Shaykh of Instruction|
Ian Dallas was born in Scotland in 1930 of a Highland family. He travelled extensively in Greece, France and Italy. In 1963 he acted in Federico Fellini's film 8½ as "Il partner della telepata".
As-Sufi converted to Islam in 1967 in Fes, Morocco as Abdalqadir, witnessed by Abdalkarim Daudi, the Imam Khatib of the Qarawiyyin Mosque, and Alal al-Fasi. He then joined the Darqawi order as a student of Muhammad ibn al-Habib. He travelled Morocco and Algeria with his Shaykh and was further instructed in Sufism by Sidi Hamud ibn al-Bashir of Blida and Sidi Fudul al-Huwari as-Sufi of Fes.
Abdalqadir as-Sufi advocates adherence to the original legal school of Islam, the tradition of the people of Medina as recorded by Malik ibn Anas, since he considers this the primal formulation of Islamic society and a necessity for the re-establishment of Islam in the current age.
Abdalqadir as-Sufi teaches that suicide terrorism is forbidden under Islamic law, that its psychological pattern stems from nihilism, and that it "draws attention away from the fact that capitalism has failed." He has stated that Britain is on "the edge of terminal decline" and that only Britain's Muslim population can "revitalise this ancient realm". He has written extensively on the importance of monarchy and personal rule. He also regards the face-veil (or Niqab) of Muslim women as unislamic, describing it as an "evil hinduisation of women".
In 2006, he issued a fatwa, following a visit and speech given by then Pope Benedict XVI in Germany. In his Fatwa Concerning the Deliberations of Pope Benedict XVI in Germany, he stated that "in my opinion, Pope Benedict XVI is guilty of insulting the Messenger of Allah". He was an early mentor of American Sufi scholar, Hamza Yusuf.
Murabitun World MovementEdit
In February 2014 he distanced himself from the dinar and dirham movement, saying, "So, I now dis-associate myself from all activity involving the Islamic gold dinar and silver dirham". The other major condition of a correct Zakat, he argues, is the existence of personal rule, or Amirate, since Zakat is, by Qur'anic injunction, accepted rulings and established practice, taken by the leader, not given as a voluntary sadaqa.
The books he has written include:
- The Book of Strangers, (State Univ of New York Press, 1972, ISBN 978-0-88706-990-1)
- The Way of Muhammad, an existential exposition of the pillars of Islam from the perspective of Sufism (Diwan Press, 1975, OCLC 16373203)
- Indications From Signs, (Diwan Press, June 1980, ISBN 978-0-906512-12-8)
- The Hundred Steps, a classic work on key steps in the path of Sufism (Portobello Press, ISBN 978-1-874216-04-9)
- Qur'anic Tawhid, (Diwan Press, 1981, ISBN 978-0-906512-14-2)
- Letter to An African Muslim, (Diwan Press, 1981, ISBN 0-906512-13-1)
- Kufr – An Islamic Critique, (Diwan Press, 1982, ASIN: B0007C6U32)
- Root Islamic Education, written on the school of the people of Madinah under the leadership of Imam Malik (Madinah Press, June 1993, ISBN 978-1-874216-05-6)
- Oedipus and Dionysus (Freiburg Verlag, 1992, ISBN 1-874216-02-9)
- The Sign of the Sword, an examination on the judgements on jihād in the light of classical works of fiqh, particularly al-Qawanin al-fiqhiyyah of Ibn Juzayy al-Kalbi, relating it to the contemporary situation and the global dominance of world banking and usury finance. (Diwan Press, 1984, ISBN 978-1-871207-26-2)
- The Return of the Khalifate, a historical work on the Ottomans, their demise and its causes and an exposition of a route to the recovery of the khalifate (Madinah Press, 1996, ISBN 978-1-874216-21-6)
- The Technique of the Coup de Banque on the modern age since its inception in the French Revolution. (Kutubia Mayurqa, 2000, ISBN 84-930515-6-X)
- The New Wagnerian (Budgate Press, 2001, ISBN 978-0-620-46755-1)
- Letter to an Arab Muslim (Editorial Kutubia Mayorqa, 2001, ISBN 84-930515-9-4)
- Sultaniyya is a modern statement on leadership in Islam. Abdalqadir surveys Islam under the chapter headings Deen, Dawla (polity), Waqf, Trade, the Sultan – personal rule – and Tasawwuf. (Madinah Press, Cape Town, 2002, OCLC: 50875888)
- Commentary on Surat al-Waqi’a (Madinah Press, 2004, ISBN 0-620-31921-6)
- Collected Works (Budgate Press, 2005, ISBN 978-0-620-34379-4)
- The Book of Tawhid (Madinah Press, 2006, ISBN 0-620-36126-3)
- The Time of the Bedouin (Budgate Press, 2007, ISBN 978-0620465120)
- The Book of Hubb (Madinah Press, 2007, ISBN 978-0-620-39911-1)
- The Book of 'Amal (Madinah Press, 2008, ISBN 978-0-620-40463-1)
- The Book of Safar (Madinah Press, 2009, ISBN 978-0-620-44110-0)
- Political Renewal (The End of the Political Class/The House of Commons and Monarchy) (Budgate Press, 2009, ISBN 978-0-620-44573-3)
- The Muslim Prince (Madinah Press, 2009, ISBN 978-0-620-43455-3)
- The Interim is Mine (Budgate Press, 2010, ISBN 978-0620486187)
- Three Plays (Budgate Press, 2010, ISBN 978-0-620-469463)
- Ten Symphonies of Gorka König (Budgate Press, 2010, ISBN 978-0620465137)
- Discourses (Madinah Press, 2010, ISBN 978-0620469302)
- The Engines of the Broken World (Budgate Press, 2012, ISBN 978-0620532501)
- Commentaries (Madinah Press, 2012, ISBN 978-0620523820)
Translations undertaken by his studentsEdit
- The Noble Qur'an: a New Rendering of its Meanings in English, by Abdalhaqq and Aisha Bewley (Bookwork, Norwich, UK, ISBN 1-874216-36-3)
- The Muwatta of Imam Malik  translated by Aisha Bewley and Ya'qub Johnson (Bookwork, Norwich, UK, 2001, ISBN 0-906512-17-4, ISBN 0-7103-0361-0)
- Ash-Shifa by Qadi Iyad (published as Muhammad – Messenger of Allah) translated by Aisha Bewley (Madinah Press, 1992, ISBN 978-1-874216-00-1)
- The Letters of Shaykh Moulay Muhammad al-Arabi al-Darqawi (published as The Darqawi Way) translated by Aisha Bewley (Diwan Press Norwich, UK, 1980, ISBN 0-906512-06-9).
- The Foundations of Islam by Qadi 'Iyad. (ISBN 979-95486-3-2)
- The Seals of Wisdom by Muhyiddin ibn al-Arabi translated by Aisha Bewley (Madinah Press, Cape Town 2005, ISBN 978-0-9651209-3-7)
- Sufis and Sufism: A Defence by 'Abdu'l-Hayy al-'Amrawi and Abdu'l-Karim Murad translated by Aisha Bewley (Madinah Press, Cape Town 2004, ISBN 0-620-31920-8)
- A Madinan View: on the Sunnah, courtesy, wisdom, battles and history by Ibn Abi Zayd al-Qayrawani translated by Abdassamad Clarke (Ta-Ha Publishers Ltd, London 1999, ISBN 1-897940-84-X)
- Henderson, Barney (20 February 2010). "Radical Muslim leader has past in swinging London". Telegraph. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- From 'The Collected Works' by Ian Dallas
- IMDB Filmography
- "Shaykh Muhammad ibn al-Habib al-Filâlî". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 8 November 2007. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "Aisha Bewley's Islamic Home Page". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 3 August 2008. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "Root Islamic Education". Bewley.virtualave.net. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "Ihsan Mosque, Norwich, UK". Muslimsofnorwich.org.uk. 9 March 2010. Archived from the original on 28 August 2010. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- The Great Mosque of Granada, Spain
- The Jumu'a Mosque of Cape Town Archived 17 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine, South Africa
- Fatwa on Suicide as a Tactic, [Madinah Press] 2004.
- Radical Muslim leader has past in swinging London, The Telegraph 21 February 2010.
- Political Renewal, [Budgate Press] 2009.
- "Lifting the Veil on the Veil Issue By Shaykh Dr. Abdalqadir as-Sufi". Shaykhabdalqadir.com. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "The End of an Age by Shaykh Dr. Abdalqadir as-Sufi". Shaykhabdalqadir.com. 18 June 2007. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-27.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Grewal, Zareena "Islam Is a Foreign Country: American Muslims and the Global Crisis of Authority" December 2013
- "THE ISLAMIC DINAR – A WAY-STAGE PASSED" Shaykh Dr. Abdalqadir as-Sufi
- Refer to the following articles on his website, Ta Sin Mim – Today Archived 18 May 2007 at the Wayback Machine, A Ramadan Message to His Majesty King Abdullah Archived 18 May 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "The Way of Muhammad". Bewley.virtualave.net. Archived from the original on 27 June 2010. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "Root Islamic Education". Bewley.virtualave.net. Archived from the original on 27 June 2010. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "The Technique of the Coup de Banque" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 July 2007. (336 KB)
- "Sultaniyya" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 September 2007. (33.7 MB)
- "The Muwatta of Imam Malik". Bewley.virtualave.net. Archived from the original on 13 October 2010. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "The Foundations of Islam" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 December 2006. (715 KB)
- "The Seals of Wisdom (Fusus al-Hikam)". Bewley.virtualave.net. Archived from the original on 6 October 2010. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- This rebuttal by two prominent ulema of the Qarawiyyin Mosque in Fes was written in response to the slander against Sayyid Muhammad `Alawi al-Maliki al-Makki in a book called Kitab al-Hiwar,