Seyed Abbas Araghchi (Persian: سید عباس عراقچی, ⓘ Persian pronunciation: [ʔæbˌbɒːse æɾɒːˈɢtʃi]; born 5 December 1962 in Tehran) is an Iranian diplomat who is the former political deputy at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Iran from 2017 to 2021. He previously held office as the Deputy for Asia–Pacific and the Commonwealth Affairs and Legal and International Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Iran. He served as Iran's chief nuclear negotiator in talks with the P5+1, in Hassan Rouhani's government.
|Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs|
11 May 2013 – 30 August 2013
|Preceded by||Ramin Mehmanparast|
|Succeeded by||Marzieh Afkham|
|Ambassador to Japan|
28 October 2007 – November 2011
|Preceded by||Mohsen Talaei|
|Succeeded by||Reza Nazarahari|
|Ambassador to Finland|
Accredited Ambassador to Estonia
|Preceded by||Hossein Rezvani|
|Succeeded by||Javad Kachoueian|
|Born||1962 (age 60–61)|
|Alma mater||School of International Relations|
Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch
University of Kent
|Awards||Order of Merit and Management (2nd class)|
|Years of service||1979–1989|
Araghchi entered the Foreign Ministry in 1989. In early 1990s, he served as chargé d'affaires of the Permanent Mission of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the Organization of Islamic Conference, based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Prior to becoming Ambassador, Araghchi served as Director General of the Institute for Political and International Studies (IPIS). From 2004 to 2005, he was chancellor of School of International Relations.
- "Araghchi became Iranian Ambassador to Tokyo". Iranian Students' News Agency (in Persian). 28 October 2007. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "Deputy for Legal & International Affairs". Islamic Republic of Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- "Iran's FM, nuclear chief, DM receive medals for role in nuclear deal". Iranian Students' News Agency. 8 February 2016. Archived from the original on 31 May 2016. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- Marie Donovan; Paul Bucala & Caitlin Shayda Pendleton (15 June 2016), with contributors Ken Hawrey and Shayan Enferadi, "Iran News Round Up: Former IRGC commander: Our ambassadors in Iraq, Lebanon, and Syria are Quds Force members", AEI Critical Threats Project, retrieved 10 September 2017
- "Seyyed Abbas Araghchi became Asia–Pacific Deputy of Minister of Foreign Affairs". Iranian Students' News Agency (in Persian). 24 December 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "Iran Demotes Top Nuclear Diplomat in Foreign Ministry Reshuffle - BNN Bloomberg". 14 September 2021.