Aatma (2013 film)
Aatma is a 2013 Indian Hindi psychological horror film directed by Suparn Verma and starring Bipasha Basu and Nawazuddin Siddiqui in lead roles and Shernaz Patel and Doyel Dhawan in supporting roles. Aatma released on 22 March 2013 and centers on a mother who must fight to keep her daughter safe from the ghost of her husband.
|Directed by||Suparn Verma|
|Produced by||Kumar Mangat Pathak|
|Written by||Suparn Verma|
|Edited by||Hemal Kothari|
Wide Frame Pictures
|Distributed by||Wide Frame Pictures|
|Budget||₹80 million (US$1.1 million)|
|Box office||₹87.8 million (US$1.2 million)|
Nia is the daughter of Maya (Bipasha Basu) and Abhay (Nawazuddin Siddiqui), who are divorced. Maya and Nia live with Maya's parents (Shiv Subramaniam) and (Shernaz Patel). Nia is unaware of the fact that her father is dead. Maya deliberately hides the truth from her as Nia is a sensitive child and adores her father. Things start getting bizarre when Paras, Nia's classmate who bullies her in the classroom, ends up dead. Soon after, Nia's teacher, Mrs. Sinha, who complains about Nia, is also found dead. Moreover, Nia often starts talking to her dead father.
Concerned about the absurd change in Nia's behavior, Maya takes her for counselling. It is revealed that Abhay was a hot-tempered man. He lost his job and friends because of his frequent violent bouts of anger and also suspected Maya of having an affair with her colleague, Pankaj However, Abhay loved his daughter more than anything else. After Abhay starts beating up Maya, she files for divorce and gets the sole custody of Nia. Abhay cannot bear this and threatens Maya that he will take Nia away from her. Shortly after the hearing and the pronouncement of the Family court, Abhay dies in a car accident. After the session, the counsellor (Mohan Kapoor) advises Maya to take Nia out for the weekend. The mother daughter duo do so but Abhay possesses Nia and threatens Maya that he will take their daughter away with him.
Maya consults a priest (Darshan Jariwala), who tells Maya that as long as she and her daughter share a strong bond of love, Abhay won't be able to kill either of them. After the counsellor tries to convince Nia that her father is dead, the counsellor himself is found dead. Later, Abhay kills Maya's friend Aakanskha for which Maya is framed and arrested. She is admitted in a mental health facility centre in confinement for treatment. Maya's mother calls the priest home to get the home blessed from the evil spirit. Abhay kills the priest and Maya's mother too. Maya, in a desperate bid to save her daughter, kills herself in the health centre confinement, as she remembers the priest's words that no mortal can fight a spirit. Maya becomes a spirit and saves Nia just as Abhay is about to kill her by pushing her before a fast-moving local train. She also destroys Abhay's spirit, thus ensuring Nia's safety for the rest of her life.
In an epilogue, Nia is shown celebrating her 18th birthday while Maya's spirit fondly watches her.
- Bipasha Basu as Maya Verma
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui as Abhay
- Doyel Dhawan as Nia
- Shernaz Patel as Ila Verma, Maya's mother
- Jaideep Ahlawat as Police Inspector Raza
- Tillotama Shome as Vaishali Sinha
- Darshan Jariwala as Sharma ji, priest
- Shiv kumar Subramaniam as Pratap Verma, Maya's father
- Mohan Kapoor as Dr Deepak Bhandare, Counsellor
- Geetika Tyagi as Aakanksha
- Padam Bhola as Pankaj
- Lila Adib as old lady
- Rajeev Kumar as Sub-Inspector Naik
- Charu Shankar as Gita
- Sumeet as Satish
- Sharad as Rohit
- Subhash Khadke as Maya's lawyer
- Arvind Wahi as Judge
- Faizan as Paras
- Rakesh Vidua as Principal
- Maanta Dewan as 18 year old Nia
- Chirag as 18 year old Rahul, Nia's friend
Verma first announced plans to direct Aatma in 2012, with a July 2012 announcement confirming that Bipasha Basu would be performing in the film. Shortly after, it was also confirmed that Nawazuddin Siddiqui would be joining her in the film, marking the first time the two actors worked together. Basu has stated that she would "be a fool" to not star in the movie, with Siddiqui remarking that their pairing in the film was "an unusual pairing perhaps because Bipasha is taller, but we shared a beautiful chemistry. Siddiqui further commented that the film is a psychological thriller rather than a horror film, with Basu remarking that the film was "a strong human drama about a mother's maternal instinct and a father's attachment to his child".The film received a "A" certificate from the Censor Board of India.
Marketing material for Aatma was released in February 2013, with the official trailer releasing on 11 February 2013.
The promo of the film was also aired during the 6th Filmsaaz award ceremony held on 3 March 2013
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2018)
Critical reception for Aatma has been mixed, with a reviewer for Rediff.com criticizing the film for lacking a "sense of mystery, the element of surprise that’s essential for films in this genre". NDTV praised the film's acting, particularly that of Doyel Dhawan and especially of Bipasha's deep role, but also commented that they felt the film wasn't particularly frightening. In contrast, India TV stated that the movie's "thrilling parts" "succeeded in frightening [them]", although they found the ending anticlimactic. Yahoo Movies Review stated,"The film’s linear narrative follows a very predictable plot trajectory that hardly delivers on the thrill quotient" and gave the movie a 2 star rating.
- "Aatma". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/box-office/top-grossers=[permanent dead link]
- "REVEALED! The Secrets of Bipasha's 'Aatma'". Rediff.com. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "TRAILER: 'Aatma' Featuring Bipasha Basu, Nawazuddin Siddiqui". Business of Cinema. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Bipasha Basu pairs with Nawazuddin Siddiqui for supernatural thriller 'Aatma'!". Archived from the original on 24 March 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "I Would Be A Fool To Refuse 'Aatma': Bipasha Basu". Business of Cinema. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Nawazuddin - ´Aatma´ Is A Psychological thriller!". Planet Bollywood. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "'Darpok' Bipasha Basu new face of fear". Indian Express. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "'Aatma' trailer: Watch 'ghostly' Bipasha Basu, Nawazuddin Siddiqui". Zee News. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "AMU´s Filmsaaz 2013 Award Ceremony Possessed By Nawazuddin´s ´Aatma´!". planetbollywood.com. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- Nishi Tiwari. "Review: Aatma offers some genuine scares". Rediff.com. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "Movie review: Aatma". NDTV. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "Movie review: Aatma, edge of the seat thriller". India TV News. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "Yahoo! Movies Review: Aatma". Yahoo Movies India. Retrieved 23 March 2013.