Aalten town hall
Location in Gelderland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Anton Stapelkamp (CU)|
|• Total||97.03 km2 (37.46 sq mi)|
|• Land||96.51 km2 (37.26 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.52 km2 (0.20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||31 m (102 ft)|
|Highest elevation||41 m (135 ft)|
|• Density||280/km2 (700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||0315, 0543|
Notable inhabitants of Aalten include Angus Young, guitarist of the Australian rock band AC/DC, and Robert Gesink, a professional road bicycle racer. During World War II, 51 of Aalten's 85 Jews were hidden by local non-Jews, and thereby survived the war. According to the War and Resistance Museum in Aalten, the village had the highest number of people in hiding during World War II. The village of approximately 13,000 residents hid some 2500 people.
Aalten railway station serves Aalten and the surrounding area. There is a half-hourly service between Arnhem and Winterswijk, which stops at this station. Arnhem railway station has services to Amsterdam, Amsterdam Airport, Utrecht, Nijmegen, 's-Hertogenbosch, Breda, Tilburg and to cities in Germany.
- Hendrickje Stoffels (1626 in Bredevoort – 1663) the longtime partner of Rembrandt
- J.T. Wamelink (1827 in Aalten – 1900) a prominent musician and composer in Cleveland, Ohio
- Vinus van Baalen (1942 in Dinxperlo – 2012) a Dutch swimmer, competed at the 1964 Summer Olympics
- Nout Wellink (born 1943 in Bredevoort) a Dutch economist and former central banker
- "Samenstelling college burgemeester en wethouders" [Mayor and Municipal Executive] (in Dutch). Gemeente Aalten. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 7121CS". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Omgeving". 't Zondagsschoolhuusken.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Martin Gilbert, 'The Holocaust' (1986), page 376,
- http://www.marline.nl/verzet.html Archived 2014-02-19 at the Wayback Machine 'Marline: de infozine v/d Achterhoek'
|This Gelderland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|