A Study in Scarlet (1933 film)
A Study in Scarlet is a 1933 American Pre-Code mystery thriller film directed by Edwin L. Marin and starring Reginald Owen as Sherlock Holmes and Anna May Wong as Mrs. Pyke. The title comes from Arthur Conan Doyle's 1887 novel of the same name, the first in the Holmes series, but the screenplay by Robert Florey was original.
|A Study in Scarlet|
|Directed by||Edwin L. Marin|
|Produced by||Samuel Bischoff|
|Screenplay by||Robert Florey|
|Edited by||Rose Loewinger|
|Distributed by||Sono Art-World Wide Pictures|
Despite her billing, Anna May Wong only appears on screen for less than ten minutes. Reginald Owen had played Dr. Watson in Sherlock Holmes the previous year; Owen was one of a small number of actors to play both Holmes and Watson. Some of the other actors who played both roles are Jeremy Brett, who played Watson on stage in the United States prior to adopting the mantle of Holmes on British television, Howard Marion-Crawford, who played Holmes on British radio and Watson on American television, Carleton Hobbs, who played both roles in British radio adaptations, and Patrick Macnee, who played both roles in US television movies.
- Reginald Owen as Sherlock Holmes
- Anna May Wong as Mrs. Pyke
- June Clyde as Eileen Forrester
- Alan Dinehart as Thaddeus Merrydew
- John Warburton as John Stanford
- Alan Mowbray as Lestrade
- Warburton Gamble as Dr. Watson
- J. M. Kerrigan as Jabez Wilson
- Wyndham Standing as Captain Pyke
- Billy Bevan as Will Swallow
- Leila Bennett as Daffy Dolly
- Halliwell Hobbes as Malcolm Dearing
- Doris Lloyd as Mrs. Murphy
- Hobart Cavanaugh as Thompson (uncredited)
- Olaf Hytten as Merrydew's Butler (uncredited)
- Tetsu Komai as Ah Yet
- Tempe Pigott as Mrs. Hudson
- Cecil Reynolds at IMDb as William Baker
- Taves, Brian (1987). Robert Florey, the French Expressionist. New Jersey: Scarecrow Press. p. 152. ISBN 0-8108-1929-5.
- Eyles, Allen (1986). Sherlock Holmes: A Centenary Celebration. Harper & Row. pp. 84–85. ISBN 0-06-015620-1.
- Bunson, Matthew (1994). Encyclopedia Sherlockiana: an A-to-Z guide to the world of the great detective. Macmillan. p. 255. ISBN 978-0-671-79826-0.
- Barnes, Alan (2002). Sherlock Holmes on Screen. Reynolds & Hearn. p. 39. ISBN 1-903111-04-8.
- Eyles, Allen (1986). Sherlock Holmes: A Centenary Celebration. Harper & Row. p. 86. ISBN 0-06-015620-1.
- Barnes, Alan (2011). Sherlock Holmes on Screen. Titan Books. p. 76. ISBN 9780857687760.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: A Study in Scarlet (1933 film)|