A Starlit Somersault Downhill
A Starlit Somersault Downhill is a 1993 book by Nancy Willard and illustrator Jerry Pinkney about a rabbit that is invited by a bear to share a cave over winter but instead of hibernating decides to enjoy the outside.
|Genre||Children's literature, Children's poetry, picture book|
|Published||1993 (Little, Brown and Company)|
|Media type||Print (hardback)|
|Calligraphy by Barbara Bash|
Publishers Weekly, in a review of A Starlit Somersault Downhill, wrote "Willard's typically sophisticated language gains meaning through repeated readings, and her sonorous rhyming couplets impart liveliness to nature's sleeping season. Lavishly detailed, full-spread watercolors afford views of untidy woods and tousled fur--they bristle with energy even as they suggest the restlessness youngsters may experience in the deep of night, wide awake and alone."
- "A starlit somersault downhill". worldcat.org. OCLC. Retrieved February 17, 2017.
- "A starlit snowfall". worldcat.org. OCLC. Retrieved February 17, 2017.
- "A Starlit Somersault Downhill". Publishers Weekly. PWxyz LLC. August 30, 1993. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
- "A starlit somersault downhill". Buffalo and Erie County Public Library. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
With a rhyme that's pleasant to the ear, if not always clearly understandable to young listeners, .. Graceful in both picture and word, this creates a mood that transcends the intricacies of the text.
- "A Starlit Somersault Downhill". Kirkus Reviews. Kirkus Media LLC. May 20, 2010. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
In gossamer lyric verse, delicate as early snow, a whimsical tale
- "A starlit somersault downhill: Reviews". catalog.wccls.org. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
Pinkney's realistic watercolors of the bear and rabbit include a final fold-out page and perfectly complement Willard's poetic images of darkness and light, movement and slumber, snow and spring.
- Shirley Witton (September 1993). "Book Reviews: Preschool & Primary Grades". School Library Journal. Media Source Inc. 39 (9): 221. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
- "A Starlit Somersault Downhill". ccbc.education.wisc.edu. University of Wisconsin-Madison. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
This lyrical, lively poem is touched with humor and filled with joy .. Jerry Pinkney's illustrations spanning each two-page spread fill the pages with autumn and winter light.