A Portrait of Marginality
A Portrait of Marginality is a 1977 book edited by Marianne Githens and Jewel Prestage on the political behavior of American women. It is an anthology of 22 papers on women's participation or lack of it in American politics. It includes a section specifically on African American women in politics.
|Publisher||David McKay Publications|
Diane Kincaid of the Western Political Quarterly wrote that the volume "will stand as a milestone in marking the shift from description and prescription to empirical explanation and theoretical development." Kincaid added that the section on African American women" succeeds in vividly challenging the easy subsumption of "black women" into "all women" as a political behavior group."
- Ward, Kathryn (1978). "Review of A Portrait of Marginality: The Political Behavior of the American Women". Contemporary Sociology. 7 (5): 668. doi:10.2307/2065104. JSTOR 2065104.
- Kincaid, Diane D. (1978). "Review of A Portrait of Marginality, the Political Behavior of the American Woman". The Western Political Quarterly. 31 (4): 570. doi:10.2307/447241. JSTOR 447241.
- Jaquette, Jane S. (1979). "Review of A Portrait of Marginality: The Political Behavior of the American Woman". The American Political Science Review. 73 (1): 239–241. doi:10.2307/1954779. JSTOR 1954779.
- Means, Ingunn Norderval (1979). "Review of Women: Roles and Status in Eight Countries; A Portrait of Marginality: The Political Behavior of the American Woman". Canadian Journal of Political Science. 12 (2): 402–404. doi:10.1017/S0008423900048253. JSTOR 3230143.
- Hannigan, Janet (1980). Binkin, Martin; Bach, Shirley J.; Freeman, Jo; Githens, Marianne; Prestage, Jewel L.; Kelly, Rita Mae; Boutilier, Mary (eds.). "Feminism & Political Theory". Polity. 12 (4): 691–696. doi:10.2307/3234307. JSTOR 3234307. S2CID 211177861.
- "Review of A Portrait of Marginality: The Political Behavior of the American Woman". Social Work. 23 (5): 429. 1978. JSTOR 23713849.