A Million Colors in Your Mind
|A Million Colors in Your Mind|
|Studio album by|
|Released||April 21, 2015|
|Recorded||November 24, 2014|
|Studio||The Samurai Hotel Recording Studio, Astoria, NY|
|Cyrus Chestnut chronology|
The AllMusic review by Matt Collar said "the album finds Chestnut once again delving deep into his own colorfully chorded and swinging set of well-chosen cover songs. Although in his mid-fifties at the time of recording, Chestnut nonetheless wanted to record an album in which he could commune with musicians who were slightly older and more seasoned than himself ... Ultimately, Chestnut continues to dazzle with A Million Colors in Your Mind, revealing ever more tantalizing musical layers".
In JazzTimes, Mike Joyce stated "There’s nothing quite like the sound of pianist Cyrus Chestnut hammering his way through a five chord in a climactic turnaround, as if to underscore his abiding affection for blues and gospel traditions. It evokes images of a smiling slugger rounding third and heading home, having just deposited a ball somewhere in the upper deck. You’ll find examples of that on A Million Colors in Your Mind, but as its title suggests, his latest recording is a many-hued thing".
- "I've Never Been in Love Before" (Frank Loesser) – 5:43
- "Gloria's Step" (Scott LaFaro) – 4:21
- "Hello" (Lionel Richie) – 6:06
- "From a Tip" (Victor Lewis) – 5:54
- "Day Dream" (Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn) – 3:38
- "Brotherhood of Man" (Loesser) – 6:26
- "Yemenja" (John Hicks) – 4:13
- "A Time for Love" (Johnny Mandel, Paul Francis Webster) – 8:26
- "Polka Dots and Moonbeams" (Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke) – 4:51
- "I Didn't Know What Time It Was" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 7:05
- Jazz Depot: HighNote discography accessed February 26, 2019
- Cyrus Chestnut website: discography accessed February 26, 2019
- Collar, Matt. Cyrus Chestnut: A Million Colors in Your Mind – Review at AllMusic. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- Joyce, M. JazzTimes Review accessed February 26, 2019